Will CustomPress work with marketpress to control global product category/tags for netwo

I have a GM MP network. I am considering a category tutorial that allows super admins to create and control product categories globally, allowing site admins to link products to but not add/change, etc.

If I install custompress:
- Will it play nice with marketpress?
- Can I outline and have full control over product category/tag lists across network (no edits by site admins)?
- Can I define display type for global and local category lists in the sidebar, i.e. list only parent categories, then "click" to expand to, a list of sub-cats underneath.

Thanks.

• PC

Hey there,

Thanks for your post. What do you mean by GM here ? Sorry but I will request you to use full plugin names :slight_smile:

- Will it play nice with marketpress?

Yes. MarketPress is a custom post type. If you want to add custom fields, you can use CustomPress

- Can I outline and have full control over product category/tag lists across network (no edits by site admins)?

If you want to restrict site admins to make any mods, then you will need to restrict their access to a role where they can not edit anything in CustomPress. You can also define if a custom post type is editable by site admins or not. You can simply disable the access to CustomPress for Site admins

- Can I define display type for global and local category lists in the sidebar, i.e. list only parent categories, then "click" to expand to, a list of sub-cats underneath.

Unfortunately not out of the box. You will need to custom code it or start with customizing something like : http://wordpress.org/plugins/list-custom-taxonomy-widget/faq/

Cheers, PC

• MoniQ

PC,

If you want to restrict site admins to make any mods, then you will need to restrict their access to a role where they can not edit anything in CustomPress. You can also define if a custom post type is editable by site admins or not. You can simply disable the access to CustomPress for Site admins

Sorry for repeating...to restrict access or to stop site admins from adding cats/tags,

I need to install a user role plugin?
    or can custompress settings do this?

Thanks.

• MoniQ

Hello PC, I delved into CustomPress to solve issues with my MarketPress Global Product Category Menu on the main site - I want more control on how to display my fixed-list. I have since been convinced to solve issues instead of going the CustomPress route just yet. Threads below.

It would take me a while to figure out how to properly replace the MarketPress product categories list that shop merchants use. And I really don't want to mess with that if I don't have to. We just need more options. After weeks of research and digging deeper, I found a lot of solutions in the threads, but I think it may be time to round them all up and hard code them in to MarketPress to save us a lot of hair pulling!

I noticed CustomPress allows me to stop site admins from accessing it, so that appealed to me. I want sellers not to add to my fixed set of categories. I have since installed user role editor and turned off manage_categories for site admins (which should be a choice in MP). I hope it will not conflict with multisite user management.

I also wondered if a jQuery vertical accordion menu widget would bring a CustomPress prod-cat list in, bypassing an Appearance/Menus step (as Menus -Editor only allows 82 categories and dumps the last 18). Is there a way to solve the Menus-Editor issue and expand on its limitations for a fixed list?

Global Prod-Cat Menu on main site: thread

Theme sidebar issue: thread

Image uploading issue: Avatar/Site Categories icon/Branding WP Login logo.

Thanks PC

• PC

Hey there,

That is the best way in which you have done it.

I also wondered if a jQuery vertical accordion menu widget would bring a CustomPress prod-cat list in, bypassing an Appearance/Menus step (as Menus -Editor only allows 82 categories and dumps the last 18). Is there a way to solve the Menus-Editor issue and expand on its limitations for a fixed list?

Not sure if that is possible. However you can use http://wordpress.org/plugins/jquery-vertical-accordion-menu/ with a custom menu.

So you can add the Custom categories to a WordPress custom menu and then use it with the plugin above.

But I think we are discussing it on a separate thread too so lets keep it there.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.