will multisite be my best option

Hi, after installing courseware on my website i got an error that said i had exceeded my memory allocation. Once i removed courseware, i was fine.
I have spoken to my hosts who will increase the allocation.
However, it occurred to me that using a multisite setup may be more in line with what i need.
Main website -site 1
Courseware portal-site 2
Social portal -site 3

If a user registers on buddypress ,/membership in site 1 will the other sub sites have access to the information and the users able to login with the same details.
Am i able to populate the social portal with buddypress profile info from site 1 .i have had a look bfor this info, but im still a little unclear.

Do i share the same php.ini allocation on all sites within a multisite setup or does each one receive their own allocation

Thanks

• calvinrogercanas

Hey there @karen,

Hope you're well! :slight_smile:

If a user registers on buddypress ,/membership in site 1 will the other sub sites have access to the information and the users able to login with the same details.

Nope, unless you add them manually :slight_smile:

Am i able to populate the social portal with buddypress profile info from site 1 .i have had a look bfor this info, but im still a little unclear.

I think this link will answer your question: https://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/customizing/bp_enable_multiblog/ ( it's a function of buddypress that enable to share your bp profile in your whole network )

Do i share the same php.ini allocation on all sites within a multisite setup or does each one receive their own allocation

They share the same php.ini, the multisite function is configured in "WordPress level" not in php level ( hope I am making sense here :smiley: ),

Let me know if it helps! :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Calvin

• karen

Thanks Calvin, thats a bit clearer. The enable multiblog function looks interesting for the future.
    My issue is that my theme is supposed to be able to be used for blogs and social networking, but once ive installed the required plugins for buddypress, i start to get errors and memory issues, more noticeable when i start using forums. I thought seperating the social network function from the rest of the site may solve the memory issue, but if the php allocation is just shared amongst the differing sites, it looks like i may have to do it on a different hosting package and use a single sign on solution (which i have found is not as easy as i envisiaged!!) ..For now, My hosts have just increased my php.ini allocation form 128 to 512, so i will see how i get on.
    if there is anything which u think may help , i will be grateful for any input. i may just be going about this in a completely wrong fashion.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Karen,

Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

The increase from 128 to 512 should make a difference here :slight_smile: if you are still experiencing memory issues then yes, a better hosting plan will likely be the solution. Another idea is to find out which plugin is taking up so much memory, perhaps it isn't needed.

You can use a plugin such as this to check that: https://wordpress.org/plugins/p3-profiler/

Keep in mind, some plugins, such as BuddyPress - do require a significant amount of resources. So it isn't always abnormal to see a plugin taking up quite a bit of memory - this will just help you figure out which ones they are and if they aren't needed then you can remove them.

Something else I wanted to mention here, As Calvin stated - if users are registered on the social site, then they aren't added to the user lists of other sites; however, they are given a pseudo-subscriber role on them. So they can still login through any subsite on your network and can do some basic functionalities like comment.

You can also have them added to the sites as well by using a plugin such as this, if you wanted that: https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-user-management/

Additionally, if you want the BuddyPress features (activity, member list, groups, etc.) to be on just 1 subsite, then you can use this constant: https://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/installation-in-wordpress-multisite/#b-network-wide-activation-buddypress-root-blog-in-secondary-site

define ( 'BP_ROOT_BLOG', $blog_id );

$blog_id is just the ID of the subsite that you want to be the BP root site.

Long as BuddyPress is network activated the user profile links will link back to their profile on your social subsite.

That link above has some information on the other multisite setup options as well.

Lastly, I notice you said you are using Coruseware; I just wanted to quickly mention that we also have our own Courses plugin as well; CoursePress - incase you were interested in that :slight_smile:

It integrates with our chat plugin too so you can include live chats directly into courses. That way your students can't chat if they like, gives it a more classroom feel. Although, you might not want your students chatting during class, so of course you can leave it off too :wink:

Hope this helps Karen! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.