Will my proposed setup work with pay per view?

I have multisite buddypress with 3 levels of pay to blog.

The pay to blog levels have been assigned an admin role.

There is a main site, where pay to blog is initiated.

There is another site, Resource Center, that features blog content from these access members. I want them to be able to add content and think that the admin role gives them that ability.

The way the resource center works is that the content is visible to the public for 1 week. And then it is locked down to all but the pay to blog access members.

I also want this same site to have a public wiki available to all all the time.

Is this a function of pay per view or membership? Thanks in advance for your help. Linda

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @iempoweru,

For something like this, I'd recommend using Membership. Pay per view is meant to give limited access to view content. It sounds like you want free access at the beginning, then locking it later on. This is best suited for Membership.

What I'd advise doing here, is have a category called "premium" Then once your content is ready to no longer be free, you add it to that category.

Best regards,

• iempoweru
    • The Crimson Coder

@Alexander Rohmann ok, I am reading the manual for memberships

I want basically 2 levels - 1 for the visitor, so I get that.

1 for the existing pro site access levels. I have 3 access levels in pro site, with 3 subscrption options - monthly, quarterly, annual. So does this mean I need to create 9 levels to correspond in membership for my resource center.

And I do not want to charge them again so does that mean that they would have to be a free subscription? Thanks again for your help! Linda

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @iempoweru,

You mentioned the Resource Center was a separate site. Pro Sites and Membership aren't designed to work together in this way. There won't be a way to tie the billing from Pro Sites to the Membership site without a good bit of custom development. When using Membership, this would normally be billed separately.

I meant category earlier as well. This way you could setup your access rules to allow free users to see that category. Then you can take the post out of that category when you're ready for it to become protected again.

Best regards,

• iempoweru
    • The Crimson Coder

Ok, thanks for you feedback - I had already figured this all out. I set up a visitor level and a free level for my existing members of pro site. It all works great except for this.

I want my free level people to be able to write/edit/publish blog posts on this separate site from my main site.

I have tried to configure this in the levels rules in the admin section, but can't seem to get it to work. What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @iempoweru,

From your access level, under the "Advanced Rules" you can have the access level associated with a WordPress user role. This is what will allow users to create and publish posts. Just add them to a contributor role. That way when they sign up, they'll have access to posting/editing etc.

Best regards,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.