Will Snapshot backup other folders and files that are i the root of the WP install?

My WordPress installations also have non-WP folders such as wpsite.com/images/ and some files in the root of the WP install at wpsite.com/filename.php

Will Snapshot be able to take all these files related to the site or not?

• PC

Hiya @paperweight

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

Snapshot takes a backup of your WordPress site including your configuration (wp-config) , .htaccess and all the database tables.

It will not include the non-wp folders like you stated above. Image attached.

However, there can be a work around. You can create a folder inside wp-content/uploads, copy the desired files over and take a snapshot to keep that safe.

I hope that helped. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same and I will be around.

Cheers, PC

• paperweight

Ok, understand.

I currently pay managewp.com for maintaining lots of websites and the "killer app" for me on their system is that they allow the inclusion of additional files and directories in the backup in this type of way:

Please add the directories you want to include outside of your WordPress installation, separated by commas:
    images,beta,message,imgs

Please add the files in the website root directory you want to include outside of your WordPress installation, separated by commas:
    test.php,phpini.php,quoatioanbackup.html,test.txt,asterix.zip

So if we could manually note those, that would be FANTASTIC and would finally make my wpmudev payment worthwhile :wink:

The other note is that I am starting to use Comcure.com backup. I know the CEO of the company (it is a subsidiary of UK2) and can put you in touch if you want to use their API to allow another backup spot for your plugin.

• PC

Hiya,

So if we could manually note those, that would be FANTASTIC and would finally make my wpmudev payment worthwhile :wink:

That is something Even I would love :slight_smile:

Moving the thread to Features and Feedback Section so that we can keep a track of this request and see how many others are looking for the same.

The other note is that I am starting to use Comcure.com backup. I know the CEO of the company (it is a subsidiary of UK2) and can put you in touch if you want to use their API to allow another backup spot for your plugin.

Wow, that is awesome. I checked it out and it looked nice to me. Unfortunately, this decision can not be taken by me so I am tagging Paul here as Snapshot is one of his babies :slight_smile:

Cheers, PC

• Paul

@Leofitz, @shawng, @DirectoryDude, @paperweight,

Yeah this is coming sooner than later. I purposely left off the full site files options. Basically a checkbox for 'Everything from the root down'. The reasoning at the time has to do with the restore option. And the fact that since Snapshot runs within the WordPress environment there are issues with the ability to restore part of the WordPress while your code is actually running.

I think the evolution of this will be on the restore panel to allow optional restores. Like selecting not to restore core files. Still in the design thinking on that. But including all files should be do able in the next release or soon after. Look for it soon.

• HamRadioDude

Maybe a Install a new site then the plugin and Not restore core files in memory then on reload the site is back to normal. Not sure that would work.

Hmmmm or putting the migration to another site into effect, that you can restore other WordPress sites from a another WordPress site. maybe mix that into a backup plugin to sell to customers (a Backup Business).
    Just thinking out load and hoping you say "thats a great idea lets do it" LOL Can't blame me for trying :>

• HamRadioDude

I hear ya.
    I have been looking for a Backup solution to get customers to signup backup their sites and they can restore at any time and can configure the amount of times backing up.
    the closest I came was a site that let you use their site to create your own backup company. you use their servers and when you get more customers you will have to add more space for more money :> Only reason I didn't take it I had to use whmcs for billing. and I really wanted to do what they were doing myself
    Yes a Vaultpress is what I'm dreaming of also maybe we should start a new thread on a Vaultpress Plug :>

• paperweight

Having a selection of backup locations is good. We currently backup a standard blog to at least 3 different locations (not including mailing ourselves daily mysql dumps). So it would be nice to have this one plugin able to backup to Dropbox, Google Drive, Sftp, and others.

I also use CDP R1soft on the most "vital" WordPress installations we manage. These are huge sites or sites that have important forum or e-commerce activity. CDP R1soft is fantastic because it allows us to replace one file, many files, one directory, many directories, or an entire server -- bacially anything you can do with your sftp software, you can do with this. I usually have CDP R1soft backuping up a site every 2-4 hours with 36-72 hourly backups, a few weeks, and a few months.

If a backup plugin could emulate CDP R1soft, that would truly be great. but I'd be happy in the interim with what @Paul says about adding the other non-WP files/dirs in the future iterations of this plugin.

All sounds great :slight_smile:

• Leofitz

Paul,
    In answer to your question, I've been using the Backup Buddy plugin only on single WP sites. I'll have to double check and see if it's designed to handle WP multi-sites...I don't recall seeing that option.

BackupBuddy has a built in malware scan function which is very helpful. I teach a uni course that ends up having 20 tutorial student sites and 20 custom sites built each semester. The tutorial sites can be removed at the end of the semester but I've been supporting the personal student sites from my own hosting account. Due to regular malware infiltration (I'm working on a package of plugins to 'harden' the sites) the hosting provider is always on me to upgrade the 8+ plugins, theme and child theme, and WP versions as soon as they come out. As the upgrades don't always play friendly with each other I have to do this one by one and when a site locks up, back up and remove the last upgrade.

The malware scanning function of Backup Buddy and its option for fast and complete site backup and re-install on a new domain are very helpful. The primary current function of Snapshot, setting restore points, will be very welcome for my version upgrade process. If Snapshot combined all the function of Backup Buddy and the restore points function, it would be a sure winner! If your version #2 could do all that on twenty sites, with the push of one button, and make me a perfect espresso, I'll nominate you for a Nobel prize)

I can't imagine the amount of work it takes to code such a project so you won't be hearing any griping about slow progress from me. Thanks for your work.

• Paul

@Leofitz,

Thanks for the details. I would say for my personal use I don't want a backup tool that is also a malware scanner. To me that should be a separate plugin. But that is just my thought. I doubt we will attempt to copy the functionality from BackupBuddy or any other backup tool. But instead provide a unique tool that is both stable and robust that users will chose over other tools.

And yes, the migration part is considerable development time. At least when you get into the Multisite logic. That is why I will probably start with Single to Single migration, Then Multisite site to Single. Then last Multisite to Multisite. Should keep me busy over the next few months.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.