Will updates overwrite code that I have had written?

HI - I have membership, classifieds, directory and Ultimate branding istalled and I noticed that each of these plugins are due to be updated. (I see that Membership has had a major upgrade)

If I install these updates will it overwrite the code that I have paid to have written (outsourced) to fix some problems that I was having in regards to the plugins working together?

If so, how do I work around this?

Thanks,
Venessa

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Venessa,

Thank you for your questions.

If I install these updates will it overwrite the code that I have paid to have written (outsourced) to fix some problems that I was having in regards to the plugins working together?

Yes if yo have changed the plugin code then it will overwrite.

If so, how do I work around this?

When you develop custom functionality then try to achieve it using hooks in the child theme avoiding editing plugin code whenever possible.

If you have made the changes in the plugin file then first check what are the new changes made in the plugin like bug fixes, features or security fixes and do you really need it or not.

If you need it then compare the plugin files to see code difference then merge / import the new plugin code in your plugin code and test the new modified plugin thoroughly on your test / development site to make sure it doesn't contain any issue.

After testing it if you find there isn't any issue in it then upload it on your live site after taking whole live site backup.

Cheers,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.