With the Membership plugin, it appears "levels" can be independent. Can they also allow me

We're building a site based on buddypress that will have three distinct groups of users: teachers, students, and schools. Each is a separate subscription that could have additional features enabled within that subscription - like a teacher who wants to be able to advertise a class to get signups.

It appears that is possible with Membership, but the documentation seems focused on a progressive set of levels and I'm not really sure levels can be separated so that one membership type can have optional features.

Is that possible?

• Alexander

Hi Mike,

Looks like some of your question that you wrote in the title is a bit cut off. I think I'm getting what you're looking for, but feel free to add any more context if needed.

Access levels are actually independent by default. Users will only be affected by rules of access levels that are applied to them. This can be multiple levels if the user has multiple subscriptions, or just one set.

You could in fact create three entirely separate subscriptions that work in different ways and give different features. You could make this even more powerful by having the access levels associated with a Wordpress role (under advanced rules) This way you could take advantage of the great roles and capabilities of Wordpress while having it automated by Membership.

Best regards

• Mike

Thank you for your help! You got the context completely. This is exactly what I needed to know before I plunged into this more deeply and started on a path of implementation.

That being the case, I would also believe then that as long as a person had subscribed within what I will call a type of membership (totally my own construct for the purpose of this question) you could use the rules, if you needed to, to keep them from also subscribing to a conflicting role. As a simple example, a person subscribed to a "teacher" membership type could be prevented by rules from accessing the page where they could also be subscribed to a membership type as a school. But, since the memberships are totally separate, a user could be subscribed as a teacher and take on an additional subscription to allow them to place ads for classes as a teacher.

I know - that is a bit complex - but this opens up the way for a lot of richness eventually and is a very important advantage of the Membership plugin for me. Do I have a good understanding of what is possible with that description of how we might use it?

• Alexander

Hi Mike,

Well, that's definitely an interesting question. So they'll be able to signup once, and after that they can't change roles or add another subscription?

I know this isn't possible out of the box, but we could try a work around. With a clever combinations of shortcodes, you could create a custom signup page that will at first show all the different options, but after they are signed up the options go away.

Checkout the shortcodes at the very bottom of the usage page here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#usage

These would allow you to have the subscription buttons and details appear anyway you like on any page.

You could wrap these buttons inside access level shortcodes to hide them after a user is on a level. For example:

[not-level-school]
    [not-level-teacher]
    [not-level-student]

[subscriptiontitle subscription="1"]
    [subscriptiondetails subscription="1"]
    [subscriptionprice subscription="1"]
    [subscriptionbutton subscription="1"]

[subscriptiontitle subscription="2"]
    [subscriptiondetails subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionprice subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionbutton subscription="2"]

[subscriptiontitle subscription="3"]
    [subscriptiondetails subscription="3"]
    [subscriptionprice subscription="3"]
    [subscriptionbutton subscription="3"]

[/not-level-student]
    [/not-level-teacher]
    [/not-level-school]

This is the only workaround I can think of here, I haven't tested it. You would also need to apply protection to your normal subscriptions page - otherwise they could create a new subscription from there.

Let me know if this makes sense, or if I should elaborate further on anything.

Best regards

• Mike

Thank you!

Except, that I'm thinking we will use three separate subscription pages, one for each subscription type, as described in the documentation, that is pretty much what I was thinking of. By using separate subscription pages, we can have a links that will allow them to pick which type of subscription they want during the signup process and then when they have selected the type on the page for that subscription, pick the features they want to include.

That also allows us to put links to their subscription type for upgrades within their membership and to modify the options specific to a type without changing the subscription page for other types.

I'm marking this one as resolved at the information level for sure. I imagine there will be other questions as we work through implementation, but I know enough to understand how we might make this work for this case.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.