WMPU Organizational Structure

Hello Everyone:

I've added an attachment to help with this question....

Do I need to install WPMU on the "Special Child" website so that it's standalone, or can it live as part of the parent company's organization?

If the "Special Child" website needs to have it's own WMPU installation can the user profiles be synced between the "Special Child" and other parent organization's websites?

IF the "Special Child" can indeed live under the parent organization's web structure can all users come to "specialchild.com" and get a username and account such as "specialchild.com/xxx" WITHOUT seeing anything from the Parent company?

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hi there Shaun

Hope you are keeping well and welcome to the community !

I took a peek at the screen shot and am answering inline

Do I need to install WPMU on the "Special Child" website so that it's standalone, or can it live as part of the parent company's organization?

This depends on if the special child is in a separate wordpress install, if yes then you'd have to install the WPMU dashboard on that separately.

If the "Special Child" website needs to have it's own WMPU installation can the user profiles be synced between the "Special Child" and other parent organization's websites?

Yes we have a plugin to help with this
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-user-synchronization/

IF the "Special Child" can indeed live under the parent organization's web structure can all users come to "specialchild.com" and get a username and account such as "specialchild.com/xxx" WITHOUT seeing anything from the Parent company?

This too should be possible, just the the users table will be common to both the parent as well as special child. So if they later try to sign up to the parent, they'll know.

Cheers
    Jude

• Shaun
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Jude:

Thank you for asking; as I am doing well today. I want to recap all of what we discussed to make sure I have it all correct. If any of this cannot happen (or is not correct) please let me know so I can build this all properly....

Most of the websites in question are fresh new WPMU or WP installations. I will have to import only one of them, but it is a simple blog (one of the child sites) with no Woocommerce or specialty plugins.

This depends on if the special child is in a separate wordpress install, if yes then you'd have to install the WPMU dashboard on that separately.

I would like the "Special Child" site to be a part of the family of sites on the same WPMU installation, and since this a new site I can do this.

- The "Special Child" will be the only one offering edublog and wordpress style accounts like http://www.specialchild.com/xxx

- This is completely possible since you have a multi-domain plugin that I can install in the WPMU - even though it is the CHILD SITE that will be offerin this option; not the parent site.

Is all of this true and correct?

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Yup. except I think you mean Domain Mapping and not Multi Domain in this bit.

- This is completely possible since you have a multi-domain plugin that I can install in the WPMU - even though it is the CHILD SITE that will be offerin this option; not the parent site.

• Shaun

OK Glad I'm off to a good start.

Here's what I understand...
    I want to host WPMU with my organization at the parent company level, but I really want to provide my users with a vanity subdomain or folder (username - yahoo.com/xxxx) with a domain that is NOT my organization's domain.

In order to do this I need the following plugins:

Multi-Domains for Multisite
    This is to allow the parent to give users subdomains on another domain (that is not where the WPMU is installed.

Domain Mapping
    Needed to create the user subdomains (as well as truly map domains to the WPMU network)

Is this correct, and what else do I need to make sure to install to make this happen?

• Shaun

Hello Jude:

I still do not have a working network. I keep trying to redo everything so it is setup exactly as you recommend, and nothing is working. Can someone call me or, at least, have a live chat with me to help me set up this network?

Do I have to pay extra for this? If so what is the cost just to have my network setup properly?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.