Wondering how one would go about making entries

Hello!

Wondering how one would go about making entries to the calender? There doesn't seem to be an option, unless it just grabs notifications and such. It would be great to make future events that show on the calender for the course! For example the instructor could make an announcement or tell the students about an upcoming chat that would be put on the calender. Thank you!

Also - it would be awesome if students and teachers could see all events for all the classes they belong to on their dashboard page. How difficult would this be to implement? Thank you! CoursePress is incredible, I am so happy I found it!

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brandon,

I hope you're doing well and thank you for using our CoursePress Po plugin!

You're right about the Course Calendar - it's a widget that isn't meant to be editable for students, nor it doesn't support any advanced features for "interaction" with the courses. That said, I'd like to turn your attention to our "Events +" plugin that lets you

Create and manage events, including RSVP, ticket sales, guest lists and map integration, with more power and flexibility than Facebook Events and Eventbrite

It's a full-featured "events management system" that will no doubt integrate great with your site.
    Using some shortcodes (and perhaps another plugin called "Membership Pro") you'll be able to create an advanced e-learning platform based on CoursePress that will support events, user groups etc.

As for dashboard enhancements I think it's an issue that you may want to ask for at our "Job Board" as it's a custom job. I'm pretty sure that you'll find a pro developer willing to help you asap.

Events + plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/events-plus/

Membership Pro plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

Our Job Board: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Cheers,
    Adam

Brandon

You guys make me so happy.

The Events plugin sounds great. I just need to figure out how to hook in its user groups with the specific courses and instructors who are teaching them. Or maybe create a drop down for which course they want to post the event to? I'll figure it out — seems possible though right?

What is the difference between Membership and Protect Content Pro? They seems to be so similar I am not sure which to use. Right now I am using Protect Content.

Thank you SO MUCH!

Adam Czajczyk

Hey Brandon,

I hope you're well today!

IMHO if you're using Protected Content right now, you'll be able to adopt it to your needs addressed in your first question. The main difference between Protected Content and Membership Pro is actually the workflow philosophy behind it: while the Protected Content's main goal is to protect content from being viewable by unauthorized users, the Membership Pro aims to help you create a full-featured Membership site. Actually, in some cases both those goals may seem quite "interchangeable" or - depending on your needs - may work just fine along each other.

As for assigning events to courses the easiest way would be to use events categories. More complex way (however it may prove to be more flexible at the same time) would be to use BuddyPress along with Gropus Events add-on for Events+.

If you have any further questions, please ask. I'll be glad to assist.

Cheers,
    Adam

Brandon

That's exactly what I was thinking!! I have tried every wordpress LMS and all of them fall short in one way or another.

I think the following will be a powerful combination that will integrate together well:

1) Sensei (to manage students and instructors)
    2) BuddyPress Groups (to integrate forums, and events)
    3) Events+ (integrates with BuddyPress groups. Students can have a calendar with events from ALL of their classes on their dashboard.
    4) Protect Content (for control over access to content.

I wish there was an LMS where the teacher had control over all of this (course files, events, news, forums etc) all in one place, but there isn't for now. So in this system the teacher would have to add the student to the class, to the group, and also change access settings each time a student would move from class to class. Not ideal, but the only way I can see for now.

Ideas? Thanks!

Adam Czajczyk

Hey Brandon,

I hope you're well today!

I think your plan sounds good. I'm not familiar with Sensei (is it the one by WooThemes?) so I'm not quite sure how well will it integrate with other solutions but our plugins are made with flexibility in mind so I think it should work together. I can see however, that Sensei would duplicate the CoursePress Pro features and this could be an issue as it may lead to some conflicts. That said, why don't you stick to CoursePress? I suggest it because it will play fine and integrate seamlessly with our other plugins, as well as BuddyPress.

As for a complex solution that would act as you wish I'm also unable to think of any good "one-piece" solutions but I think it's just a matter of configuration of those plugins. That being said, I'd setup courses with CoursePress, use BuddyPress and Events+ exactly as you said and control access to content with Protected Content or Membership Pro.

Cheers,
    Adam