Wont publish to FB if not logged in

If I log into facebook then login to our website and publish a new post, it is published to our Facebook page as required.

If I'm not logged into facebook or one of the other authors posts a new post, we get an error message saying "Publishing on Facebook Failed".

Should I have to be logged into facebook for the post to be published? I can't give out the facebook login details to all of the other website authors.

I have granted entended permissions within the Utilmate Facebook settings and have checked the boxes for Allow auto posting new posts and Do not allow individual posts to Facebook to facebook.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey cehwitham

Should I have to be logged into facebook for the post to be published? I can't give out the facebook login details to all of the other website authors.

Works for me when not logged in Facebook. It should go through your Facebook App for auto posting.

A user would need to be logged in when liking and sharing as this then posts to their own wall.

Could you please post a screenshot of your autopost page?

Thanks.

• cehwitham
    • Flash Drive

Hi Tim,

I've got it working now. It seems I had to setup the plugin with a full personal Facebook account. I had originally set it up with the page account which doesn't have a full profile it can only administer our page and I think this was causing problems.

I granted extended permissions on my personal account (I am an admin on our FB page) and then set all the post to settings to our page rather than my account. Not ideal as other admins could go in and change this to one of my other pages but there is only one other admin on this site and I trust him so not really a problem in this case.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Chris

• isis
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Chris,

That is helpful; I had not come across this one yet and since I am an admin on several pages as well, looks as though this could be helpful.

I will go ahead and set up a Facebook App and start working through it, however, I am confused by your comment

I've got it working now. It seems I had to setup the plugin with a full personal Facebook account. I had originally set it up with the page account which doesn't have a full profile it can only administer our page and I think this was causing problems.

I granted extended permissions on my personal account (I am an admin on our FB page) and then set all the post to settings to our page rather than my account.

Setting up an application usually doesn't require a personal Facebook account? I know page vs. profile can get confusing with FB, but I am interested in this workaround you seemed to have to do to get it working. Can you elaborate? It may become more clear to me as I work through it, if it does, I'll respond back!

Cheers!
    Isis (Wendy)

• cehwitham
    • Flash Drive

Hi Wendy

I didn't need a profile to create the application as you say. I had originally added the application to the FB account used for the page (not a profile account). When I granted extended permissions, it didn't seem to take or seemed to keep loosing the settings.

I then broke the link with the page FB account and granted extended permissions to my personal FB profile account which is an admin on the required page. This seemed to work and allowed other users to post to Facebook as the page also.

However, one of our Editors reported it not working again this morning so back to the drawing board.

• cehwitham
    • Flash Drive

After a few days, I've realised this is not resolved, I'm still having intermittent issues.

I grant extended permissions and everyones posts are published to Facebook without a problem. However after a few hours, posts fail to be published to facebook and I get the following message in the error log:

OAuthException: Error validating access token: Session has expired at unix time 1327334400. The current unix time is 1327396636.

I don't know what if anything I need to do to prevent this but it'd be a pain to have to keep granting permissions, if in fact that is what the problem is, it certainly seems to cure it.

• cehwitham
    • Flash Drive

Hi Timothy,

I've set the app up with my personal FB account which is linked to quite a few pages, I don't really want to give my details out. I think the problem may be in the FB App, it didn't look 100% like the setup instructions when I was going through it. Is there a more detailed setup guide for this part somewhere?

Many thanks for you help.

Cheers

Chris

• cehwitham
    • Flash Drive

Hi Timothy,

Many thanks for looking into this for me. Unfortunately, it is not working again this morning and the entry below went in the FB error log.

January 28, 2012 8:27 am cehwitham@gmail.com post_on_facebook exception OAuthException: Error validating access token: Session has expired at unix time 1327719600. The current unix time is 1327739226.

Seems to work for an hour or so and then breaks.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again Chris.

I had to deactivate your nextgen gallery. It would stopping me from connecting to Facebook. Wasn't the issue originally though, but I see you changed something as your echoing out some variable in the header.

Anyway, I've changed a setting on your FB App, you should now be ready to go. Please can you go test and let me know. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• cehwitham
    • Flash Drive

HI Tim,

Many thanks, I've tried it this morning as an Editor and an Administrator and both posted to Facebook fine, I'll check again in an hour or two just to make sure it still works as time seems to have been an issue previously.

Am I ok to reactivate NextGen Gallery or will this start causing problems again?

Which setting on the FB app did you change? Just wondering in case I need to do it for another site.

Many thanks.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again :slight_smile:

The issue was that a setting in Facebook "depreciate offline_access" was not set correctly, so whenever you were logged out of Facebook, you killed the session.

This feature is also becoming depreciated by Facebook later this year in favour for a 60 day based sessions.

I would love to take credit for this, but VeBailovity found the issue after we discussed the problem.

As for NextGen.... Hard to say, but for some reason whilst activated it prevented Ultimate FB connecting to Facebook.

Does NextGen now have some kind of connectivity to Facebook? A lot might have changed since I last used it properly.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.