Woo Macro not working

I'm adding the Macro for my WooCommerce on SmartCrawl > Title & Meta, but the %%tag_description%% or %%tag%% isn't working for WooCommerce > Tag, same for WooCommerce > Category, I had to use %%term_title%% instead, won't it be a different Macro once this is not a term?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi brentjohner

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Both product categories and product tags, as well as regular posts' categories and tags are actually taxonomies. "Their items" (so category names, tags themselves, product category names etc) are terms. The difference is that due to, so to say, "historical reasons" the specific "category" and "tag" words are usually associated with default posts. Products are also posts but of custom type "product" and the same applies to product and categories - they are just custom taxonomies and their "items" are terms.

The "category" and "tag" macros in smartcrawl are fetching specifically "post" ("standard post") categories and tags. WooCommerce or any other plugin (or you using e.g. additional code in functions.php for that matter) can add yet another taxonomy and call it "category" but that's just it.

The bottom line is, that I think the core of the issue is a bit "muddy" terminology and things can get a bit unclear. I think though we could e.g. add additional macros to the SmartCrawl specifically for WooCommerce categories and tags as the plugin is extremely popular and widely used - so you would just use something like "%%woo_category%%" and "%%woo_tag%%" instead. I believe it would also be good to hide irrelevant macros from the list depending on a post type.

Would this work for you? Or do you think some other way to fix this would be better? Let me know, please.

I suppose that, alternatively, we might just be able to make regular category and tags placeholders "detect" that it's WooCommerce but I'm not sure what would be more "reliable" in terms of development so I've asked our developers for consultation on possible solutions to that.

Best regards,
    Adam

• brentjohner
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Adam.

I appreciate the inquiry, however ...

The questions you are asking are above my pay grade. Like most users, the code is mostly magic to me. And like most users I don't really understand where Word Press, Woo Commerce and Smart Crawl begin and end or exactly how they are related to each other.

When my traffic starts to fall off significantly, as it has over recent weeks, I know there has been a change to how Smart Crawl is working. So I know I have to go in and start figuring out what has changed and see whether or not I can fix it.

Until recently %%tag%% and %%tag_description%% worked fine for product tags. Then suddenly they stopped working. When I went in the other day to figure out what was going on, I discovered things had changed.

Of course, I had no idea if it was broken or just changed. Therefore I contacted support.

What make sense to me?

%%product_tag%% and %%product_tag_description%%
    %%product_category%% and %%product_category_description%%

That would make it consistent with the rest, I think.

Again, thanks. Hope this feedback is useful.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

HI brentjohner

The questions you are asking are above my pay grade.

Actually, you have responded to my questions above :slight_smile: That's exactly what I wanted to know:

%%product_tag%% and %%product_tag_description%%
    %%product_category%% and %%product_category_description%%

That would make it consistent with the rest, I think.

Thanks for getting back to me with this feedback. I've already passed that to our developers so they'd look into it and consider implementing it in future.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.