WooCommerce and CoursePress issues

Hi,

I've built a course using CoursePress and have integrated WooCommerce in order to sell the course as a product. Is it possible to sell this course to anyone in the general public, or do users have to be registered in order to purchase the course? There is also an issue that when I try to view the WooCommerce product page in an incognito tab (i.e., as if a member of the public were trying to buy the course). However, in this scenario, the course now says it is out of stock (while it is not, in reality), and then when I return to the product page as a regular logged-in user, it now says the course is out of stock.

I'm also having an issue where every time I update the course in CoursePress, the WooCommerce product page loses all of its formatting (e.g., the product description had bullets, which have now disappeared).

Is there any way to fix these issues?

Thanks!

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brent,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your questions!

Is it possible to sell this course to anyone in the general public, or do users have to be registered in order to purchase the course?

There's no requirement for a user to be logged in to e.g. browser WooCommerce products (courses in this case), add them to the cart and proceed to checkout. However, user should login to finish purchase so the transaction would be completed for a logged in user. This is because CoursePress must be able to "assign a course to a user" - to identify student - and that's only possible for logged in users.

There is also an issue that when I try to view the WooCommerce product page in an incognito tab (i.e., as if a member of the public were trying to buy the course). However, in this scenario, the course now says it is out of stock (while it is not, in reality), and then when I return to the product page as a regular logged-in user, it now says the course is out of stock.

I tested this on my end and I was able to replicate that. I believe this is a bug (though I'm not sure whether it's a CustomPress or WooCommerce issue) and I've reported it to the developers so they could examine it and develop a fix. Thank you for pointing my attention to that.

I'm also having an issue where every time I update the course in CoursePress, the WooCommerce product page loses all of its formatting (e.g., the product description had bullets, which have now disappeared).

A CoursePress update shouldn't be causing this, unless it was a specific update that carried some patches affecting WooCommerce integration. Does this happen with every update of CoursePress or did it started just recently? Does this happen if only CoursePress if updated or other plugins are updated at the same time too (WooCommerce especially)?

Let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

Brent

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm glad to hear that everyone should be able to buy the course, not just registered members. And of course, it makes sense that people would have to register during checkout (as opposed to needing registration beforehand). My problem now, as described earlier, is that non-registered users receive a message saying the course is out of stock, which then actually changes the stock level to 0 even for registered users. Thank you for passing that issue on to the developer. I hope to hear back from them soon.

As for the issue of losing all the formatting of my WooCommerce product page, it seems to only happen when I update the course in CoursePress. For instance, my WooCommerce product page contained a short description of the course. But while I was doing my own testing for the "out of stock" issue we were just discussing, I tried playing with the course settings to see if that would have any effect. I changed the course so that only "registered users with a password" could take the course. I then returned to my WooCommerce product page to find that the short description had completely disappeared. If there's anything I'm doing wrong, please let me know.

Thanks

Predrag Dubajic

Hi Brent,

Out of the stock issue is currently being worked on and we do have a patch you could try out.
    Can you access your WP installation via FTP or cPanel and go to coursepress/2.0/include/coursepress/helper/integration/ folder.
    In there backup class-woocommerce.php file and then download the attached file, unzip it and place it in that folder.

As for the issue with product description, I tried following the steps you described but I was unable to replicate this on my installation, would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this on your end?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please respond in this thread once access is granted.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Brent

Hi,

The patch seems to have worked! I went to purchase the course in incognito mode (as if a regular customer was trying to buy it) and the course is no longer out of stock for unregistered users. It also sends users their login credentials once they purchase the course, which is exactly what we want.

As for the issue of the WooCommerce product page reformatting, it seems that this is no longer occurring. I've since made some changes to the course itself and it no longer seems to be having an effect on the product page.

Thanks for all your help!