WooCommerce Search and Filter

Hi there,

I have a few custom attributes set up for a website that is selling printer cartridges with WP and WooCommerce.

Let’s say my product attributes are as follow:

Manufacturer – HP, Brother, Xerox
Model – 1020 Jetprinter, Deskjet 560, M3210

Okay so by default with any search and filter plugin I will have two dropdowns selects for Manufacturer with it’s 3 values, and another for Model and it’s values.

I only used three examples, there are thousands of values for each, which is why you will understand my next question:

Some “Models” only belong to certain “Manufacturers” … At the moment when I click on HP it shows all the products that has the HP attribute. But when HP is selected, I want the “Model” dropdown to only have “1020 Jetprinter” and not just ALL the model attributes.

I understand that a plugin just pulls all the attributes and then filters the shop according to the selected values.

And to achieve this, somehow the attributes have to be linked in the back end.

Do you have any solution for this?

Thanks!

• James Morris

Hello Louis,

I hope you are well today.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you're wanting to give visitors the ability to query your products based on brand and model number. You want the associated models to auto-populate the next select field when the brand is selected. Is that correct?

Have you taken a look at the Product Finder extension for WooCommerce? This would give you a much more powerful search interface that enables shoppers to search by product attributes.

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Louis

Hi,

Yes it seems you understand what I need done.

Please visit this link: http://www.cartridgetest.co.za/

You'll see there's a search form with "Manufacturer" , "Model" , "Cartirdge Part"

When you click on Manufacturer eg Brother it displays all the products that has that Manufacturer Attribute - which is fine, but the next select field that is Model just displays ALL the Models attributes. Not Just the Brother Models.

So yes I need the Attribute select fields to populate according to what previous attribute was selected.

I have taken a look at WooCommerce Product Finder... At a quick glance it looks like it will only be able to do what I implemented on the site already?

And I fail to understand how to let the Plugin know specific "Models" belong to "Brother" and specific "Cartridge Parts" belong to specific "Models" - As Manufacturer, Model, Cartridge Part is just attributes on it's own? Not linked to each other somehow?

Thanks for the input so far :slight_smile:

• James Morris

Hello Louis,

I hope you are well today.

Ok, looking this over and talking to some of our WooCommerce experts here, there's no simple way to do this. It would take a good bit of coding that is beyond the help I can offer you here. This is why I had suggested the Product Finder extension for WooCommerce. I do believe that extension will work in your situation, provided you have your attributes configured correctly.

Working through a demo setup on my own site, the way I believe you will need to setup your attributes is like so:

* Make your brand (HP, Brother, Cannon) your attribute.
    * Click the gear on the attribute to define its terms (Models). Screenshot: https://monosnap.com/file/0xNrObxNxIjEcpqlRu2vPMeodVvkvm
    * After you add your firs-level terms, add your second-level terms (Parts). Screenshots: https://monosnap.com/file/WMa3UQ4YY4Q1JdSUlNqlDGTHEEBzcF & https://monosnap.com/file/kutlmJEJr2jl4pfbR5sVi0W4EtXHyg

This will enable you to define the relationship between Brand->Model->Part.

I hope that clarifies a bit. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.