woocommerce shop page now showing blank page

My client called and their site's shop page now shows only blank page. Any help?
I built and taught them to manage so I haven't been actively involved w this site for some time.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @efhale,

Do you have access to their server at all?

Could you check in their public_html & public_html/wp-admin folder and look for an error_log file?

Hopefully there should be an error list which might help us diagnose the issue.

You could also try renaming the plugins folder to plugins-tmp, then create a new folder called plugins, this will allow you to check whether it's a plugin causing the issue, if the site reappears when you do that, then you know it's a plugin. You can then copy each plugin from the plugins-tmp folder 1 by one & reactivate untill the issue returns, then you will know which plugin is the culprit. but check for the error_log first.

Hope this helps

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

A white screen of death is almost always a fatal PHP error. The trick is to catch it and see what's causing the problem.

Open up wp-config.php and find this code block:

/**
     * For developers: WordPress debugging mode.
     * Change this to true to enable the display of notices during development.
     * It is strongly recommended that plugin and theme developers use WP_DEBUG
     * in their development environments.
     */
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Replace it with this:

/**
     * For developers: WordPress debugging mode.
     * Change this to true to enable the display of notices during development.
     * It is strongly recommended that plugin and theme developers use WP_DEBUG
     * in their development environments.
     */
    // Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set('display_errors',0);

What that's going to do for us, is it's going to enable the trapping of PHP errors to a file instead of showing them on-screen.

Refresh your page exactly one time and in FTP open up the wp-content folder. You will see a new file called:

/wp-content/debug.log

Open that file in something easy to read like Notepad++ because the default notepad.exe is worse than useless for a .log file.

Ignoring strict-standards errors for now, copy & paste us anything fatal or sufficiently scary looking. We'll have you up & running again in minutes. Well, someone will. It's 2:12am in California so I may not be around to catch the reply. The staff will see the error just as fast as I will though.

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

I've been making a major shift from UI into UX, which aligns much more closely with my bachelors degree. In the meantime, I've had some big projects that are coded from the back end outward (the right way to do it), instead of from the front end down - which has been a highly educational but incredibly large load of work.

I'm still around. I've just been doing a lot more custom (highly modular) work that WPMU's approach isn't always compatible with :slight_smile:

Nice to know I wasn't forgotten though!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.