WordPress

I would like help choosing a theme . My business has several aspects - sales oftangible, digital and service products; Tutorials, videos, and online classes, and information.

Currently I use Swift which was installed by my initial designer; is a bit clunky and difficult to move around in and I'm not sure it will ultimately give me the look I want.

I want a theme that supports custom header, background images, and colors, and can hold a blog/enewsletter, online store, online classroom/membership area, information pages, gallery, appointments/descriptions for my studio classes, videos and digital downloads - free and paid, squeeze page and landing page.

I am also interested in creating an online marketplace where my students can sell their work, and possibly having a community page for my online class members.

Is this possible all in one theme? If so, do you have any suggestions of what theme might work best?
I have loaded in WOrdpress - Marketpress, Membership and Appointments as well and the Mailchimp integration plugins.
Thank you!

• PC

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

This is indeed a great project which you are working on and choosing a theme is not such a difficult task but you have to take care of a few things.

I want a theme that supports custom header, background images, and colors, and can hold a blog/enewsletter, online store, online classroom/membership area, information pages, gallery, appointments/descriptions for my studio classes, videos and digital downloads - free and paid, squeeze page and landing page.

Well, that is too much for a theme to handle by itself and as you know, you will need different plugins to achieve this.

What I personally suggest is to keep it separate using WP Multisite and do it like

mainsite.com
    store.mainsite.com
    appointments.mainsite.com etc.

Where as on mainsite you will be providing the general info, and blog

For marketplace, you can use https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/frame-market-theme/

The best theme to start with for a blog and a community site (Including membership site) is here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-blogsmu-theme/

The most important part is that you create a basic layout first and them move step by step.

I hope that helps.Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• OmTaraBead

Thank you for the information - it was very helpful. I like the idea of the sub-domains that you suggested. I have a few more questions:

1. I am planning on installing mulitsite, and am wondering if it is something I can do on my own without messing things up.

I am self taught with Wordpress. I initially had a designer develop the site, but that was ~4 years ago. She was learning herself, and left me a bit high and dry before the whole set up was done. I redesigned the site as it is now, and have tried to troubleshoot things like non working rss feeds, non integrated Mail chimp contacts (almost 2000!). But everything takes me a day or so to figure out. Is it in your scope to advise me on setting up Multisite? If so, I would love the help.

2. If I try a new theme will it erase all my customizations, like header, background images and colors?

Thank you!
    Laura

Thank you!

• TomCollins

Wow, big project Laura, I can say I'm a basic wordpress person like you. I've built many single user/domain wordpress websites for more or less static information just using fantastico. I've been attempting to build an Etsy type site which required the wordpress multisite install. The information here is fairly good and you can do it yourself if you are good at using filezilla or some other ftp. I've done two installs of wordpress mu now. The first time took 4 hours of reading and ftp. The second time I cut that in half. I think there are fellows on the job side here who would do the install for some $ if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

• PC

1. I am planning on installing mulitsite, and am wondering if it is something I can do on my own without messing things up.

Yes, you can do that with ease :slight_smile:

Just visit here : Create_A_Network

Is it in your scope to advise me on setting up Multisite?

We are always on and around to provide all the suggestions as required however if you want someone to do that for you, Job board as Tom suggested above, is the right place to post a job requirement.

If I try a new theme will it erase all my customizations, like header, background images and colors?

No it will not erase the changes if you have got them saved :slight_smile:

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions :slight_smile:

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.