WordPress 3.00 Compatible

I'm new here. I signed up because with Wordpress 3.00 the old 'blog' privacy plugin I was using stopped working with WP 3.00 AND the version here was well marked as WP 3.00 compatible . . . and great it is.

On the other hand I was interested and downloaded the 'Easy Blogging' Suite also with the WP 3.0 Compatible emblazoned on it's presentation page to now find while casually reading through some forum posts that compatibility with WP 3.00 is very much not the case and that you are not recommended to try this on a 'live' site . . . . it would be nice to have this made clear.

I was also interested in the Blog Types plugin and down loaded that; I thought it might be complicated to get the front end working BUT was reassured by the line that said just ask for what you want in the forums for advice to do this. Again I wander over to the forums to find that people are being advised to pay for a developer. That would be VERY nice to have presented on the front page too.

I cannot afford to pay for access to this site on an ongoing basis never mind a developer so it would be very useful to be presented with accurate information both about compatibility and on how much it will take to get a plugin to actually do what it says on it's front page.

I've signed up for a month and on following instructions to make sure I'm not charged automatically for the next month I'm taken to a paypal page that gives an error message. I didn't pay by paypal but with a credit card. What do I do if anything to make sure I don't find I'm charged for the next month?

• drmike

On the other hand I was interested and downloaded the 'Easy Blogging' Suite also with the WP 3.0 Compatible emblazoned on it's presentation page to now find while casually reading through some forum posts that compatibility with WP 3.00 is very much not the case and that you are not recommended to try this on a 'live' site . . . . it would be nice to have this made clear.

Actually this is basic server rules. You shouldn't be trying anything on a live site before trying it on a testbed. Not all software works out of the box and, just like a PC, certain combos of different software can cause weird and unexpected results. This is also one of the reasons why most of us are very much against running the Automated Updater that's now built into wp. It's too easy to screw up a wpmu install via this method. And if you have endusers, especially those that are paying you money for their sites, it puts you in a very bad legal position.

Again I wander over to the forums to find that people are being advised to pay for a developer.

Usually when that's given as a response, the person asking is asking for a major change of the software or for it to do something that is out of the scope of the software. I don;t know of a single developer, wordpress or otherwise, who would do something like that for free. Even though I have about a half dozen emails in my inbox asking me to do that very thing. Andrew and crew have stated many times over that they don't have the time to do custom work.

Having said that, they have also asked for input many times as well when a request is made. I know requests like this have been suggested in the past and been coded and added in. Excuse me though if I don;t provide an example. I;m off coffee again and I've got screaming kids once again here at Bruegger's. *sigh*

edit: It would be nice if you answered the questions posed to you when you ask for help. Folks have gone out of their way to help you. It shows disrespect when you fail to respond.

• CliveH

I think you've missed the point or more likely are trying to divert from the point. The front presentations are misleading as I describe, it's still misleading no matter whether anyone is installing on a production site or a test site.

It did seem to me that with the Blog Types the wording implied that there would be some examples of putting together a front presentation for blog types in the forums as people asked about this? I'd have been quite happy with some simple examples and I'd not complain if a developer was required for something more complicated . . . .

It's sad that even with screaming kids you've time to trawl around to find something to complain back to myself rather than address a 'members' VERY VALID criticism.

The last forum post I was reading was;
    Error with the 'New Blog Templates' plugin
    and the 'developer' of that plugin has not responded to two people with dead in the water plugin errors for over two weeks, this is another plugin that I was interested in using.

I made a decision to pay for a months membership partially BECAUSE every plugin is presented as wordpress 3.00 READY because I was a little worried that THIS MIGHT NOT BE THE CASE when I only at this time have money for a months membership.

I'd advise that you make it clear that this is NOT the case for certain plugins.

My install is for a private site with my 'members' as 'clients' to myself as a therapist, there is information within this site that I DON'T want read (or of even the possibility) by anyone other than my clients, because it includes my clients writing about difficult issues hence the serious need for the 'privacy' plugin. So, I'm trying to figure out how to present my 'menu' problem in a different way without giving access because this is not possible.

• Aaron

Hey there, sorry about your troubles.

Blog Types:

you will also now have the meta data to allow you or your developers to create dynamic front pages (or any other sort of content) which list users, posts, tags and other data associated with that group.

Before 2011 we'll be updating this plugin to allow that to happen with greater ease (i.e. less development) too... so stay tuned to wpmu.org for updates.

Naturally the new version will be able to use all the data collected by this older version, so the sooner you start collecting - the more options you'll have later on.

We try to make clear that it currently is just a way to collect the meta data so that a dev can develop around it to categorize blogs and such. We plan on adding front end plugins for this by the end of the year. Really thats the only plugin we have like that.

As for new blog templates and easy blogging, we lost our dev for those last week so we've been trying to play catchup. Really rare situation here so please have some patience on that.

If you have specific issues with a plugin just start a new thread and we'll figure them out for you.

As per the email we sent when you signed up, you can manage your membership here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-admin/users.php?page=subscription
    If you have any other billing/membership specific complaints/issues please use our contact form to shoot us an email.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.