Wordpress Admin extremely slow

Accessing anything through Admin is very slow (10-20 seconds to do anything) yet the front end (live site) is fast. I'm at a loss to figure it out, here is what I've done so far:

1. The site is hosted on Inmotionhosting. I have about 8 Wordpress sites there on a shared server. All others work fine. I contacted Tech support and they checked what they could on their end, all was fine. They suggested I search wordpress.org for a solution.

2. I re-installed Wordpress (3.6) and disabled all of the plugins - same result, very slow.

3. The Theme I am using is the same as that on another site I have on this server (Hoarder by Themezilla) and admin works fine on that other site.

I never had a situation like this and have no idea where to turn. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sal

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @salvatore_familia,

If you don't have any plugins enabled, it sounds like a problem with your web host. The site could have a hard time accessing the database, or there might be a very heavy CPU load going on from other sites on the server.

I'd recommend touching base with your host about it if there's no suspicion of any plugins or theme being involved.

Best regards,

• salvatore_familia
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have already checked with my host and they check the server load and it was fine, but i already new that because all of my other sites are on the same server and they are working fine. So with CPU load not a question that leaves database access which makes logical sense to me. Unfortunately I do not know enough to diagnose that. Can you suggest how I would go about checking that?

Thanks,
    Sal

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi again @salvatore_familia,

I'm sorry for not picking up on more of that earlier and offering more useful information I see you mentioned you've already contacted them. If all the other sites are working ok, it probably isn't database access as that would be noticeable there too.

Here are some things that might help us figure this out:

Can you try switching to a default theme temporarily? It could be specific to this theme's configuration.

Another thing you could try is enabling Wordpress debug logging. Here's a snippet you can use to do this safely in a live environment without messages being shown on the front end: http://git.io/gJANNQ

You can also try installing the Wordpress Debug Bar: http://wordpress.org/plugins/debug-bar/

This gives you a tab to see what database queries might be taking a long time.

Best regards,

• salvatore_familia
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Alexander,

Brilliant! I didn't think of changing the Theme (I'm pretty new to Wordpress). By doing that, i realized the problem was the theme so checked the support forum offered by the publisher. Someone else had the same problem and they reported a simple modification to one of the php files. Works like a charm now!

Gotta say that my WPMU membership has been a great investment. Thanks for your help.

All the best,
    Sal

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.