WordPress back end goes to dark screen on any click and hangs indefinitely

Logged into wpadmin console, looks fine, can navigate to major areas like themes, plugins. But when I click on anything more, like Add Plugin, or Update, the screen darkens, I get the spinning horizontal barber pole, and it never completes the function. Clicking the screen makes it go away.

I have tried different browsers and cleared cookies, cache, etc.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Can you kindly provide a screenshot of what happens ? It seems like there is a light box getting called when you click on those links as it goes away on clicking.

The best way to see if its being caused by another plugin/theme is disable them and see if the issue is still there.

Here is a screenshot you can follow to test for a plugin conflict : https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/getting-support/

Can you kindly try and let me know if you are able to find a conflict ?

Cheers, PC

• Core Zero
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

– Yes, I had already disabled all plugins (some are back on now)

– Screen shot attached

– When logging in, SOMETIMES I can just click, e.g. Settings–>General and make adjustments. But after that one time the dark screen comes up every time.

Thanks!

Eric

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hey there @corezero

I hope you don’t mind me jumping in here.

Is this occurring on a single site install of WordPress, or a multisite install?

If it’s a multisite, please also ensure that all network-activated plugins are deactivated. Also, please temporarily remove or rename the mu-plugins folder if it exists, and if there any plugins/scripts in there.

Also, as @pc has suggested above, it does sound like there is some kind of lightbox script that is hijacking your admin somehow. So please be sure to test with a default WordPress theme with no custom functions at all in functions.php

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.