wordpress crashes when theme is updated

Hi,
I have support access on for mriofreston.com. Is the theme on this site a custom theme? Anytime it is updated it causes havoc on the site. White Screens and other issues. Is there any other theme out there that offers similar features that I can go get? It's even causing issues when I upgrade to wp5.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello cornelius_butler

I hope you're well today!

The current theme on site is not a custom theme. it's a regular premium theme:

https://themeforest.net/item/medicenter-responsive-medical-wordpress-theme/4718613

I'm not familiar with it but if you're sure that the theme is causing issues, I think you should consider getting in touch with its developers asking them for help with this. As it's a premium theme distributed via ThemeForrest, they should offer a support if you have the theme purchased from there.

However, since I already checked the site I would strongly suggest some additional improvements as they might as well be directly related to those issues:

1. Your site is powered currently by PHP 5.4.45 which is very old and well outdated version. It can cause issues with other plugins as well and it's suggested to update this as soon as possible.

I'd recommend switching to PHP 7.x, preferably 7.2.x release. Such a switch can often be done with a click via the cPanel of your hosting but if there's no such option or you can't find it, please get in touch with your host and ask them to do it for you; they should be able to help you with this.

2. Your server provides up to 256M of memory for PHP scripts but your WP install is still limiting it to 40M only which might be a bit too little for the site. I'd recommend increasing that and you can do this by adding following line to the "wp-config.php" file of the site:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Make sure that this line is added right above the "/* That's all, stop editing! */" line there.

3. There's cache active on site so it's worth to remember that after any updates it's recommended to clear the cache because after update some resources may change and if they are still cached in older versions, they may cause issues.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Brad Jones
    • Flash Drive

Hi there...

Adam is right...99.8% of the time, especially with Themeforest themes using Visual Composer cause issues like Error 500 Server Errors when PHP is not 7.x and PHP Memory isn't at least 65MB....I recommend just making it 256MB. You can edit the wp-config, but going into your cPanel if you have one and setting your PHP there is usually how I do it...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.