Wordpress Dashboard speed

Hello, I've been struggling with a super sluggish wordpress dashboard. The site itself seems to load at a decent speed, but the dashboard takes forever for each post or page update, or even adding an image while in the editor. I know they had a media library full of images that are too large (PDFs too), and even though I already used WP Smush, I know I'll have to go clean up a lot of the large ones. But why is the Dashboard so so slow? Notes: Hosted on Media Temple grid, Avada theme, current WP, PHP 7.0.6, MySQL version 5.6.35...I have other Wordpress sites on this same account grid using the same theme that don't have this issue.

Thanks for any help, this has been really frustrating.

Ken Kimbrell

Hello Neil-

Generally a slow wordpress admin can be caused by quite a few variables. I will go through a few of them with you.

1. W3 Total Cache is known to slow down your WP Admin if Object Caching is enabled. If it is try disabling that if using this plugin.

2. Run your site through PageSpeed Insights and see if you are experiencing a high "server response time" https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

If you have a high server response time, then try minimizing plugins that you do not use.
    Try upgrading your current hosting plan to include more memory/server resources

3. Minimize the use of heavy plugins and their ongoing processes

4. Disable the live traffic reports in Wordfence if using their plugin

5. Use liter weight alternative plugins for same functionality

6. Avoid plugins that constantly run in the background

7. Delete plugins that you only use at certain times, then just reinstall them when you need them. Of course be mindful because some plugins will obviously remove all configurations and database changes when you delete the plugin.

8. Increase memory (RAM) on your hosting account, to make the server more relaxed.

9. refrain from using plugins with no recent update support or deprecated coding.

10. Perform a plugin conflict test by deactivating one plugin at a time and testing dashboard for faster response times.

These are a few ideas to get you in the right direction.

Let me know how I can help!

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support