WordPress Directory and Membership plugin integration

I am building a site that will have a directory as one of the main features. I would like to use the WordPress directory plugin. There is a free basic listing, and a paid premium listing. There is also an option to add additional features to the listings.

The directory plugin looks good for this, but the directory theme is not very flexible for a site that is not only a directory, and integrating the directory templates and functions intto another theme seems like more of a job than it should be.

A few questions:

What is the best way to integrate the directory plugin and the membership plugin? The membership levels are the same as the levels for the listings, so only one of them is necessary. Is there a way to use the membership registration instead of the directory registration and still have the users get access to what they need? I will also be using the Gravity Forms membership plugin and possible a couple of other membership plugins.

If I do end up customizing the directory theme, what is the best way to get the home page to display something other than the directory, and to get the directory to display on a different page. I attempted to do this in a way that would work with any other theme, but it took away some of the functionality of the directory when it was on a different page.

Also wondering the best way to do directory search across multisites - first choose the site, then the category, then search and find related entries.

Thanks very much.

• DavidM

Hi beedragon and welcome to WPMU DEV!

After our chat earlier and after having read this I think I've got a better grasp of the matter now. I'll respond to your inquiries inline.

What is the best way to integrate the directory plugin and the membership plugin? The membership levels are the same as the levels for the listings, so only one of them is necessary. Is there a way to use the membership registration instead of the directory registration and still have the users get access to what they need?

You could use Membership's registration/subscription process to mimic and enhance Directory's own. So I imagine in your case, you may be best using Membership for that.

The latest version, as I mentioned in chat, can tie into the WordPress user roles, which would entail access to the "Directory Member" user role for Directory. So you could easily attach a Membership level to the Directory Member role.

I will also be using the Gravity Forms membership plugin and possible a couple of other membership plugins.

By default, of course, Directory would provide for adding/editing listings via the back-end admin area. Given that Directory uses its own custom post type "Listings" I believe you'll be able to use Gravity Forms to get that post editing capability brought to the front-end (I haven't actually tried it yet but read that it can work with custom post types).

If I do end up customizing the directory theme, what is the best way to get the home page to display something other than the directory, and to get the directory to display on a different page. I attempted to do this in a way that would work with any other theme, but it took away some of the functionality of the directory when it was on a different page.

Those customizations can get a bit extensive as I was mentioning in chat. I'll repost the links I mentioned in chat (because they're great tutorial links) and I'll see what else I can find to help out with this.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/directory-plugin-child-themes-a-tutorial
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/directory-child-themes-a-tutorial

And here's another useful discussion on exactly this matter.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/implementing-directory-plugin-on-a-custom-theme

Also wondering the best way to do directory search across multisites - first choose the site, then the category, then search and find related entries.

Directory itself isn't built to handle a sitewide search but you can take a look at the Post Indexer plugin along with all the plugins that rely on it, to help you get that done.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/post-indexer

• Mason

Hiya,

Just chiming in to say hello as well. David's given ya a lot of good info to start with. I figured I'd just chime in to say that with a lot of projects the rule is that the more specific your requirements, the more custom development is going to be needed to get ya there.

I think using a combination of many of our products you'll be able to get most of the way there, but to get the whole package you may need a bit more custom integration which you can get estimates on from other members right here on the job boards:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

Best of luck to ya on this project though! looking forward to hearing how it all goes!

Thanks!

• beedragon

Thanks very much to both of you! I am already starting to get some ideas of ways to combine and integrate directory/membership/gravity forms. Hopefully those forum posts will solve my theme dilemma. I will be doing the custom coding myself on this project due to time/budget constraints, but good to know it is easy to find developers familiar with these plugins. Still, hoping to keep it to a minimum and have the plugins do the heavy lifting!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for ya.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/qanda/

Thanks.