"Wordpress Failure Notice"

Hello,

Open up two browser tabs, both with your Wordpress Dashboard (I am running WP 3.1 multi-network enabled).

In browser tab 1, click on logout in the top right corner of the Wordpress Dashboard.

Then, in browser tab 2, click on logout. You will get an ugly error message:

Screenshot: http://i53.tinypic.com/309tx0p.png

There are a couple issues with this:

1) Scary Error Message. The page title is "Wordpress Failure Message". It sounds like a serious error occurred and can scare some site owners thinking there is something wrong and the website is unstable.

2) I have custom branded my WPMU 3.1 with custom logos, etc. I don't want "Wordpress" to show up. Is there is way to hide/change the title?

Anyone else notice this issue? any suggestions on how to clean up this page without modifying the core (never a good idea).

Thanks.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi guys,

In version 3.1.2, The string itself is located on line 2656 of wp-includes/functions.php and you can change that as a workaround, though of course, updates would overwrite the change.

Looks like it's in the latest beta as well. I'll mention this to some folks over here to see what can be done with that.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

It's all translatable so you could use the translation features to create a different message - I've never really thought about it before either.

Otherwise, you'll have to actually edit the WordPress core files - which is a pain for upgrades.

Thanks!

• crazycoolcam
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

While I'm a year late to this party, I just programmed a plugin fix for this.

Here's the code I added into a php file in my mu-plugins folder, though it could be a regular plugin as well:

<?php
    /**
     * Plugin Name: Smart Logout
     * Description: This plugin makes the logout function check to see if you are really logged in
     *   before issuing a logout command. This avoids the error that gets issued if you are already
     *   logged out (i.e. in another window or tab).
     * Author: Camden Ross
     * Version: 0.1
    */

function smart_logout() {
    	if (!is_user_logged_in()) {
    		$smart_redirect_to = !empty( $_REQUEST['redirect_to'] ) ? $_REQUEST['redirect_to'] : '/';
    		wp_safe_redirect( $smart_redirect_to );
    		exit();
    	} else {
    		check_admin_referer('log-out');
    		wp_logout();
    		$smart_redirect_to = !empty( $_REQUEST['redirect_to'] ) ? $_REQUEST['redirect_to'] : '/';
    		wp_safe_redirect( $smart_redirect_to );
    		exit();
    	}
    }
    add_action ( 'login_form_logout' , 'smart_logout' );

/* End of Plugin. Force uncomment for closing php tag. */
    ?>

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.