Wordpress importer issue...

I have recently upgraded and installed the new version of WP multisite and then successfully added the domain mapping plugin from this site. I wanted to import my saved setting from an XML file into this new site. I was trying to download the wordpress importer from the plugin menu however after doing so I get the following message: "Download failed. Could not create Temporary file.” I assume this has to do with the level of access in my .htacess file. Below is the file I am currently using.

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^ - [L]
RewriteRule ^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
RewriteRule ^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
RewriteRule . index.php [L]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

Here is what I would like to know:
1. Is there a problem with my .htaccess file? If so, what change(s) should I make to make it work properly?
2. Is this the correct or best plug-in to import a wordpress site?
3. I would also like NOT to add 777 access to my files, so what is the correct code to insert to protect the .htaccess file from hackers, etc?

I appreciate your time and insight. I am kind of a noobie :slight_smile: and love this stuff. I feel like I’m 8 years old again, I absorb everything so fast and want more!! Please help feed my knowledge!!!

• Philip John

Hey Nayeem!

Welcome to WPMU DEV :slight_smile:

It's likely to be a permissions issue. Using your favourite FTP program (this is probably what you used to upload WordPress) you should check that /wp-content folder is writable by the server.

You could also manually create a /wp-content/upgrade folder and make that writable.

Either way, you need to make the folders writable so that WordPress can download the plugin.

Alternatively, you can manually download the plugin and upload the files to your /wp-content/plugins directory.

Hope that helps!

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.