Wordpress Membership: how can we get a custom login page?

How can we get a custom login page for Wordpress Membership?

The only way I can see is by using the default Wordpress one

Given that we've got custom pages for everything else, why was this left out?

I've been through literally every single option for Wordpress Membership and am sure I haven't missed it if it's available!

Otherwise, I'd love to use 'Theme my Login' plugin - this changes the default login pages for WP to be the same as your own theme - this doesn't work with Wordpress Membership unfortunately :slight_frown:

Thanks

Omar

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Omar,

You will need to have a page somewhere which contains the [subscriptionform] shortcode which Membership replaces with the form your visitors see.

You can of course style these with custom CSS rules added to your stylesheet and you can add as much content as you like before and after the form.

Anything else would require custom development and so you might want to try the job board.

Cheers!
    Phil

• omar
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

phil, thanks for the reply

[subscriptionform] give the new user registration
    all i want is a sign in box - u type in username and password

using [subscriptionform] the user has to the click on 'already registered' link

i'm sure if u guys added this, it would help others

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Ah, I'm sorry Omar I mis-understood your original question.

Membership uses the standard WordPress login system.

There are tons of plugins that will help you to customise the login form but as Membership is really only concerned with access to content and registration, this is outside the scope of the plugin.

Cheers,
    Phil

• rweiss
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I don't understand this response.

I have read through the forum and keep seeing it implied that the login area is just there - using the built in wordpress login. But it is also stated repeatedly that the login option should be disabled for Membership to work (non BuddyPress site) (Uncheck the anyone can register line in settings).

So - if the login is disabled, how does Membership login take place?

I don't need the subscribe form - that works. I need to allow subscribers to login when they return to the site each time.

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@rweiss,

Just finished helping someone with similar issue - will link there at end of post :wink:

The option to disable is for registration - this means that users can't register using the built in system. But users can still log in using the default login page /wp-login.php
    Actually the wp-login.php is a four-in-one - register / login / password recovery / logout
    Buy disabling the register you remove the register page from the wp-login.php so it becomes three-in-one :wink:

I find the best option is to create a login page yoursite.com/login/
    I have a sample shortcode login form generator. You could add that to the login page.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/login-short-code#post-108030
    Or, you could use the theme-my-login (very nice plugin) to handle the login side. Registration won't work because you will have it disabled :wink:

Oh, those links. These members were trying to make the wp-login.php pretty and wanted to add the register link back - except have it link to their new membership register page.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/add-background-image-to-wp-loginphp-file-help
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-login-and-registration-questions

Hope that helps you a bit?

Jonathan

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

But it is also stated repeatedly that the login option should be disabled

Not quite :slight_smile: It is the registration that's disabled, not login. The standard WordPress login can't be disabled and shouldn't be - as that's how everyone needs to login.

Phil

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

But it is also stated repeatedly that the login option should be disabled for Membership to work (non BuddyPress site) (Uncheck the anyone can register line in settings).

Registration should be disabled - You can't disable login.

I don't need the subscribe form - that works. I need to allow subscribers to login when they return to the site each time.

The plugin doesn't do anything with logins, it relies on WP to handle the login and so if you don't want to direct your users at the standard WP login page then you can use one of the numerous free login widget or shortcode plugins available -
    http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=wordpress+login+form+plugin&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

• rweiss
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Wow - lots of responses and quickly! Thank you.

When I tried to go to the wp-login page after clicking the anyone can register line in settings, the wp-login link brings a 404 error. So - I figured that means the login is disabled.

So - something is keeping the standard login from working.

@Jonathan - I put your code in the function.php file - but I am not getting it to work. Maybe I am using the wrong shortcode. Not great at reading php so maybe I am missing what the shortcode should be and how it should be entered on the page.

Rick

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@rweiss,

I presume you're talking about the the shortcode login - it is really a basic login form - one of the members was having a hard time trying to write one.
    [login-form redirect="http://yoursite.com/somewhere"]

But if you're not "great at reading php" I would rather you use the theme-my-login plugin: This gives you more options.
    And if you want a shortcode login (mine is too basic (it really basic) and more for php savvy folks) I'll be happy to recommend a few plugins that do the whole login shortcode thing rather well.
    theme-my-login being top of the list :wink:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/theme-my-login/

• rweiss
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@Barry - it was a fluke - the wp-login.php works fine. I had typed too fast.

@Jonathan - what I meant was I wasn't sure what part of your code was the actual shortcode command. I thought it was [login-form] but that didn't work.

I will use the plugin - just because I would like a more custom login for this site anyway.

I appreciate the quick responses. Confirms the great support promotion you have on the front of the site.

Rick

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.