Wordpress Membership: only one gateway allowed - how do I do subscription?

I was told by David in a reply to another thread that only one payment gateway is allowed - so using both single and subscription causes problems

He said to use single since I could also use that for subscription

See the images below

The first one is for a monthly subscription using the subscription gateway

This clearly shows payment will be taken every month

The second shows just a payment page - and nowhere is it mentioned about payments being monthly

NOTE: the subscription is the same for both - serial payment monthly

I haven't tested in the sandbox for example - but surely if it's a recurring payment, then it should state clearly in the payment page??

Or am I missing something?

ALSO: I have specific specific buttons for the single payment - but the default Paypal buttons still show - why is this? (I personally don't like the look of them!)

I'm probably going to go with subscription - but it would be great if single payment gateway were possible to use - I'm sure I would need for other purposes

Thanks

Omar

• Barry

I was told by David in a reply to another thread that only one payment gateway is allowed - so using both single and subscription causes problems

You can use more than one, but it doesn't really make sense to unless you spend a lot of time on your signup page explaining the differences between them - it's really only going to confuse your users.

The first one is for a monthly subscription using the subscription gateway
    This clearly shows payment will be taken every month
    The second shows just a payment page - and nowhere is it mentioned about payments being monthly

That is the way the single payment gateway works (the clues in the name) it uses a series of single payments to keep a user up to date, you need to use it in parallel with the communications module to send your users reminders before their current payment runs out, and then account and renew shortcodes and page so that they can click on the payment page and make the next single payment for the next period.

Rather than having paypal handle the subscriptions and payments, the single gateway takes over and the membership plugin handles that. The advantage is that users don't need a paypal account in order to sign-up and you can have unlimited pricing variations rather than just 3 that paypal subscriptions limit you to.

• omar

thanks barry - that makes it a little more clear

you rely on the user to pay monthly - so, every month they have to pay?
    i think that's what you said

>> you need to use it in parallel with the communications
    >> module to send your users reminders before their
    >> current payment runs out, and then account and renew
    >> shortcodes and page so that they can click on the
    >> payment page and make the next single payment for
    >> the next period.

- communications module? is that a plugin?

- so, send them an email and send them a link to the accounts page?

let me know if the above is correct

thanks

• Barry

Yeah, unfortunately they have to pop to the account page and make the next payment. A bit more painful than having it done automatically but as the paypal subs required accounts, and some people are adverse to that it was the least painful option.

Communications module is accessed via the edit communications page in the membership admin panel. You enter the email message you want to send, set how many days prior to expiry you want to send it, and use the shortcode for the renew page in the message to provide a link.

You can have a series of messages sent, for example, 10 days, 5 days, 2 days and 1 day before expiry to nag them to do it.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.