Wordpress Membership: why are unsubscribe and upgrade unavailable?

I've got Wordpress Membership installed
2 problems: unsubscribe and upgrade - these don't seem to be available

How do I enable? I've been through all options and can't figure out what to do

Just to confirm: I have 2 subscriptions, Free and Premium
I have 2 levels: Visitors and Premium (same name as subscription)
On the Free subscription, I have the Premium below the Visitors level

Thanks

Omar

• omar

ok, i've retested
    the normal payment works
    what i was doing was, i had free payment gateway activated at the same time
    when i was testing, i had 2 buttons for subscribing for free (which is an error itself!)
    (david had told me actually not to have 2 payment gateways activated at the same time in another thread)
    i was always clicking the free button i had set myself

i removed my free payment gateway and everything was working from there

my problem still remains - and i'm really pulling hair out :slight_frown:

the subscription payment gateway doesn't have a free payment button unlike the normal payment method

if you create a free payment option - it doesn't have a button :slight_frown:

for what i need, i absolutely MUST have a free option to which users can upgrade to a subscription paid model

i don't know what to do
    there seems to be no options open at all :slight_frown:

part of setup says that you have turn off the default wordpress signup system

what can i do??

i feel like i'm talking to myself
    if i give a long reply - it doesn't seem to get read :slight_frown:

• DavidM

Hi Omar,

To clarify, I wasn't telling you that you can't have multiple gateway options activated at the same time. I was stressing that you were using the Single Payment and Subscription Payment gateways at the same time which simply wasn't needed.

You can indeed have multiple gateway options activated at the same time, which is why you get multiple buttons showing. The user is then allowed to choose from among the options. It's not an error, but a feature, really.

You're right that the Subscription gateway option doesn't have a free option. That's what you would use the Free gateway for. So in your case, I'm guessing you'd want to use the Free gateway along with the Subscription gateway.

• omar

thanks for the reply david

You're right that the Subscription gateway option doesn't have a free option. That's what you would use the Free gateway for. So in your case, I'm guessing you'd want to use the Free gateway along with the Subscription gateway.

well, that is my problem
    i have done this and the free user has no option to unsubscribe or to upgrade

i've been through the wpmudev membership a thousand times now (ok, feels like it anyway)
    i'm not sure where i'm going wrong

HELP!

i'll send you a username and password for admin through the contact form - i'd be grateful if u could have a look

thanks

• omar

@omar - if you can let us know what gateways you are using we can get you set up with the upgrade buttons for old users - note: new members should have the automatically available.

i've sent you an email through the website giving a user name and pass for admin
    i assume your saying you can give a temporary fix?

what do you mean by:

note: new members should have the automatically available.

??

We have a update coming out pretty soon which has a new interface to cover this as well, but in the meantime if you can give us the information David asked for earlier on then we can get you sorted

hopefully you'll be able to login and get the info u need

but the new update? well... i've got a problem there. :slight_frown:
    i thought i would just need to sign up and get a plugin version that would work off the shelf - i didn't think i would need upgrades - all i needed was a simple solution that would work for at least the current version of WP

this hasn't been the case - there's at least one bug i've identified (negative rules not working) + the plugin being near impossible to use because of lack of documentation

i've really given it a go and stuck with it - trying my best to get it to work

it would be fair if i had to pay to get another month (or more) to get an upgrade :slight_frown:

would this be the case? would i have to pay another months to get upgrades?

let me know

omar

• DavidM

Hi Omar,

We are taking a look into all these things with the update. These features (the additional gateways, account page and upgrade possibilities) are completely new to this version of Membership and there's a few items that need to be addressed such as an upgrade from a subscription using a free gateway to a subscription using a paid gateway.

That said, the developer's hard at work to get this thing released and we'll post back here once we get that through.

• Philip John

Hiya Omar,

First off, let me clarify what you're after. It sounds like you want this;
    1. Members sign up for free for limited access
    2. Those members can then upgrade at any time for a paid subscription with full access

Is this correct? It feels like we're getting bogged down in the specifics of implementation without a crystal clear idea of what you're trying to implement!

currently, users are not allowed to sign up with the same username and email again

This isn't a limitation of Membership, but of WordPress. If it were any other way, you wouldn't be able to distinguish user accounts.

If you want users to be able to have both a free and paid access, they will need two account, regardless of how you set up Membership.

Phil

• omar

guys, i've just tested
    still no joy
    same problem

at least now, you can unsubscribe from a free plan - this wasnt possible before

phil you said:

>> This isn't a limitation of Membership, but of WordPress. If it were any other way, you wouldn't be able
    >> to distinguish user accounts.
    1. user signs up
    2. user DOESN'T choose a subscription - and doesn't do anything else

this user is now disabled forever and can't do anything at all
    surely this is a major problem??

you also said:

>> If you want users to be able to have both a free and paid access, they will need two account,
    >> regardless of how you set up Membership.
    no, i don't want a user to have 2 accounts necessarily

i want the user to start off with a free account
    if sometime later they then wish to have a fee paying membership, then they should be allowed that
    (and no, i don't want to give them a free trial for a period of X time - they should be free to choose ot join whenever they wish to)

what's so illogical about that??

the negative rules for pages (and everything else) just doesn't work

i give up. i throw in the towel. i've spent so much time trying to get the membership plugin to work. i must have spent days in total. :slight_frown:

• DavidM

Hi Omar,

1. user signs up
    2. user DOESN'T choose a subscription - and doesn't do anything else
    this user is now disabled forever and can't do anything at all
    surely this is a major problem??

As Phil said, that's a limitation of WordPress if anything, since if a user creates an account in regular WordPress and doesn't bother activating the account via email, the user will be disabled, as you said "forever". That has nothing at all to do with Membership.

i want the user to start off with a free account
    if sometime later they then wish to have a fee paying membership, then they should be allowed that
    (and no, i don't want to give them a free trial for a period of X time - they should be free to choose ot join whenever they wish to)
    what's so illogical about that??

The previous version provided for that by way of the PayPal Single Payments gateway. I was trying to clarify that in a thread, yet you apparently understood it differently and thought I was saying you can't have more than one gateway at the same time.

That said, the latest version provides a way to move from the Free gateway to the paid gateways, so it can be done in a way more fitting to other circumstances, such as perhaps your own.

the negative rules for pages (and everything else) just doesn't work

I don't recall you having brought this one up but we can delve into that as well.

i give up. i throw in the towel. i've spent so much time trying to get the membership plugin to work. i must have spent days in total. :slight_frown:

We're still happy to try and work through these things with you, though I should add that much of the discussion revolves around clarifying things such as your requests for features that are not advertised or things related to WordPress itself rather than Membership.

If we stick to the issues of Membership not working as is advertised, things will move much more quickly and smoothly.

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.