Wordpress Multisite first time

Hello WPMUDEV,

Yesterday I try your 1 month premium membership..

Want to build a multisite wordpress,
my project is to create sites for small&medium enterprise & they will get subdomain site.

The control is only on my hand, dont want people register by themselves, to prevent spam & hosting problem, so i choose by myself who deserve get my service.

Want to take profit from adsense in their sites and if they become premium member, i will remove the ads & give theme free premium domain (.com or .net or etc )

According to my story, after install fresh wordpress, need advice "what plugins" I must prepare to create multisite, set subdomain for my member, adsense in every site, change subdomain become domain for premium member?

I have unlimited shared hosting on Hostgator, are they good enough to host a multisite wordpress, maybe you have info from other people that use hostgator service? or any other recommended cheap unlimited hosting to handle Multisite for the first time?

Aaah forget, hmm, I've read people chat about wildcard subdomain for multisite, still confuse what plugin to set it or need manual setting?

In the future if this project growth, I will move hosting to VPS. Just in case, do you have info about minimum requirements server spec for running worpress multisite?

Thanks for your advice & info.

Best Regards,

William irvandy

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

If you're not allowing any registration then:

Admin --> Network Admin --> Settings --> Network Settings

Turn off registration there there.

Then you could use Pro Sites as well, this is a blog upgrade plugin. You make them the site, set it up, etc and then let them upgrade it themselves thus setting up a payment subscription for payment.

Pro Sites can inject ads, offer premium plugins, themes and extra space.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/

For domain mapping if they have their own domain:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

I have unlimited shared hosting on Hostgator

There is no such thing as unlimited, it's a myth, a ploy to con customers.

Try uploading a few TB of data or get a decent amount of traffic to your site. you'll be turfed off for excessive resource usage as per their terms and conditions.

Just saying :slight_smile:

Hostgator should be fine though for hosting for now. Lost of mixed reviews but then you'll get that for any company out there because you can never please everyone.

Aaah forget, hmm, I've read people chat about wildcard subdomain for multisite, still confuse what plugin to set it or need manual setting?

That's not a plugin, it's a DNS setting. If you're not sure what this is then please consult with your host, they will be able to set this up easily.

In the future if this project growth, I will move hosting to VPS. Just in case, do you have info about minimum requirements server spec for running worpress multisite?

This is all relative to your install, how many plugins, themes and how much code is being executed. In addition the concurrent traffic you have.

It other words it's hard to say, you would need to assess that by monitoring the resources you use.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

• Imperative Ideas

I'm going to pull out a few subjects you touched on.

1. Subdirectory vs Subdomain

In terms of what looks better to humans, wildcards are nice. That is when you have something like http://subject.website.com. It's very clean to type. Unfortunately, it's worthless when it comes to SEO. Search engines will pass "link juice" from the parent domain into a subdirectory but not to a subdomain. If the SEO strength of the parent site matters to you, use subdirectories. If it doesn't matter, use subdomains. If you want to have a separate domain for a subdomain site, that's a bit more complex and we can talk about it later on.

2. Self vs Admin registration

This is a per-site setting. You'll find it in the settings tab in the WordPress administrative interface.

3. Discount hosting vs VPS

Hostgator is the best of the mega-hosts but that's not saying much. You can go with someone like inmotionhosting.com and have a much faster data connection for the same price. When you get into VPS, you are talking about 30-90 dollars a month but you will get much better performance. If you run a test at webpagetest.org your "time to first byte" is almost entirely based on the speed of the mySQL server. You're talking about the difference between budget and performance. If site speed matters to you, spend $30/mo instead of $5/mo. It's that simple.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.