WordPress Multisite layout thoughts?

Hello Mighty WordPress MU experts.

I am trying to work with an idea to help me put together a series of multisite blogs, and I am looking to the community for some ideas on scaling and layout.

What I envision is a similar to an national firm that has 3 people in 3 cities. each person would get a blog…

What I want it

coolfirm.com/vegas/john

coolfirm.com/vegas/jw

coolfirm.com/vegas/abc

coolfirm.com/nyc/jack

coolfirm.com/nyc/todd

coolfirm.com/ohio/sally

coolfirm.com/ohio/sax

I looked at WordPress Multi Network, but I am concerned that it wont work, or work for a while, or break other things.

How would you handle this.

• retrocode
    • New Recruit

DavidM

Then I would need 3 domains (or x more if the site grows).more … but following onto this logic…

Do you think I could just go to my cpanel and add a bunch of subdomains like

vegas.coolfirms.com

nyc.coolfirm.com

ohio.coolfirm.com

… then use those this plugin to give the user the option of where they are at

so it would be

vegas.coolfirms.com/john

vegas.coolfirms.com/jack

vegas.coolfirms.com/abc

I think this would be a novel approach, but still very hard to brand, in a pretty way.

any other ideas?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Really, your only options here would be to use a multi-network plugin (this is why they exist).

Yes, it does add an extra layer of complexity, but many are running with success. The only other thing I can think of would be to make the individuals users on the same site – rather than having their own sites. Individual author pages could be made to show each of their posts/content which would then give you the same site structure:

coolfirm.com/vegas/john

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.