WordPress MultiSite Sub-site Dashboard Access

Any ideas why the super admin of a wp multisite is being prompted for login credentials when trying to access the dashboard of a sub site? And the super admin credentials do not work?

• aecnu

Greetings ckelsoe,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble getting into your site.

Hopefully you folks are using two different browser, one for developing and the other for testing?

Please make sure the testing browser has easy to dump cache and cookies often.

This indeed sounds like a cookie issue, and the above will assure that it is not an issue in almost all cases.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings ckelsoe,

Thank you for letting us know but pinging your own tickets works against us due to the way the ticket system works.

****Please note:****
    One reason in this particular ticket here that we are having delays in a response is because of the way the ticket system works. The ticket system see's every reply as well a reply ... and then changes it's priority in the support que to include ticket aging.

Therefore it may not show up on our screens as early as it would under normal conditions. It is usually in your best interest to not bump tickets or reply to them unless there is something significant to add.
    ****Please note****

Please post the URL to your site so I can start digging in at the domain level and also the htaccess file.

Please understand, the information you have submitted so far is very sparse in figuring out anything with this issue on your installation.

This is just the beginning and of course the foundation must be setup correctly from the start or the rest does not work of course.

So lets see what we are working with there starting with the information above.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• ckelsoe

aecnu - I am sorry your ticket system is broken in such a way that my adding what I believed to be relevant information caused issues. I was trying to provide clarification since there was a long delay in any response.

The multisite domain is kelsoewp.com. HTACCESS is per the Settings > Network Setup #2 instructions:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

LPO I am using the domain mapping plugin. This is a default multisite install on the BitNami stack on Amazon. The net result is that I am locked out of my sites because of whatever is going on.

• aecnu

Greetings ckelsoe,

Thank you for your clarification:

I am sorry your ticket system is broken in such a way that my adding what I believed to be relevant information caused issues. I was trying to provide clarification since there was a long delay in any response.

Fantastic. and how relevant is this:
    Hmm - Any suggestions where I can get true support for this issue? I need to get this figured out today.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/wordpress-multisite-sub-site-dashboard-access#post-327552

With that said, I will see about getting some other support staff, possibly my Boss @Mason, to address your issue because obviously I am not going to deal with you or your hosting issues.

Cheers, Joe

• Mason

Hiya @ckelsoe,

@lpo has given us the answer to the issue here. When you use domain mapping, you aren't automatically logged in across all domains. (This would be a huge challenge to scale effectively across potentially thousands of sub-sites).

If you have the admin setup to be at the root domain, you should be able to access the admins across all subsites. If the admin area is also domain mapped though, you wil have to login to each individually.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything further!

• ckelsoe

Can you help me understand the resolution then. The base domain is kelsoewp.com. I am the administrator of that domain. That same account is showing as having administrator rights to all of the sub accounts (either a subdomain.kelsoewp.com or a totally different domain). I have not installed any domain mapping plugin - this is a default install.

1. Why can I not log into any of the sub domains using the same credentials? My user name and password are set up as the administrator of those sub domains.

THanks

• Mason

Hiya,

That same account is showing as having administrator rights to all of the sub accounts (either a subdomain.kelsoewp.com or a totally different domain).

Ok, let's make sure we're on the same page. These sub-domains - are all part of a multi-site install, right? What version of WordPress are you running?

If you are the "network admin" then you will have access to all sub-domain sites without needing to re-login. If that's not working then as Joe mentioned, this is very likely a hosting/server issue which we're not equipped to assist with.

If you have a totally different domain available then you must have domain mapping installed or a separate installation of WordPress. Can you clarify on this one?

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.