Wordpress Network with separate Wordpress Installs

I submitted my original questions over a year ago, here.. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/buddypress-not-showing-on-my-multi-site-child-site - since the ticket was still open.. I tried to submit a follow up since the ticket was still open.. however I don't think anyone is responding there.. I also submitted through a live chat.. and no one responded there as well.. attempting a new ticket...

Again, this is a follow up to the response # 5 to my original question - highlighted on the link listed above..

This was my questions...

5. Every child site will use Buddypress and BBpress.. I want it where each site has their own community and forums, and they dont see all the other sites community and forums - bc each one will be a niche based on the site owner, but I would like on the main site to aggregrate all the child sites members, activities, is this possible?

Answer ...

Members/users are by default aggregated on the main site and all the buddypress activities in the multisite are network wide so you can create buddypress group for each site which will have activities specific to that group as described on the following page.

https://codex.buddypress.org/administrator-guide/activity-streams/

New Follow up Questions:

Can you provide a little additional details on how to do this.. I looked at the link, but it was just general overview. Is this something that can be automated every time a new site is completed? ( A new group is added for new site), and can you clarify what exactly does this give the new site owner? What are they losing? Is it just a view into a specific group category, but no ability to create new groups?

Last, If I was to abandon this Multisite strategy, b/c I really need to each new site owner to be able to run their own separate BuddyPress community site, is there an easy way to network/manage a network of separate wordpress installs similar to what Multisite feature provides? I have multiple clients creating sites off my network, but they have to be able to add their own community site... the new site creations should run on demand... the sites would all still be installed on the same domain, I still need to provide some level of support to manage/backup each site.. and if I use this strategy, can I still do all the other steps you mentioned in other answers with domain mapping, pro sites, new blog templates, etc... is this a bad strategy for managing multiple sites on a network?

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Vea,

Can you provide a little additional details on how to do this.. I looked at the link, but it was just general overview. Is this something that can be automated every time a new site is completed?

I think there was some misunderstanding. Because this will work only when BuddyPress is network activated. But you wrote that you want to have separate communities on each subsite. BuddyPress network activated will only work on the main site - so groups will be only created on the main site.
    Sitewide activity will grab activity from whole network like posts, and comments across your network.

So question is - do you need to have BuddyPress (every subiste can have own groups, activity streams etc) on each subsite or just grab what is going on on those sites (posts, comments)?

Last, If I was to abandon this Multisite strategy, b/c I really need to each new site owner to be able to run their own separate BuddyPress community site, is there an easy way to network/manage a network of separate wordpress installs similar to what Multisite feature provides?

No, single installs of WordPress even if they on the same server and domain will not work as network.
    (If you think about managing plugin updates, WP updates from one place then you can check services like ManageWP https://managewp.com/ )

I have multiple clients creating sites off my network, but they have to be able to add their own community site... the new site creations should run on demand...

You still need use Multisite - with it you can use New Blog Templates plugin so your users can create own subsites with pre made template https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/

and if I use this strategy, can I still do all the other steps you mentioned in other answers with domain mapping, pro sites, new blog templates, etc...

This will only work on Multisite installation. Separate WordPress install will not work like the Network. Also those plugins work only on Multisite WordPress, you wont be able to install them on single WordPress.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Nithin

Hi Vea,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

For instance, I saw this example, https://wordpress.org/plugins/feed-them-social/screenshots/ but not sure of any reviews. Do you know of any recommended alternatives?

Please do give a try and see whether it fits your needs, have seen many plugins which have been introduced as an alternative, but most of these haven't really been in development after it's initial phase. You could try the Ultimate member plugin, but I'm not sure whether it's exactly what you need, but the plugins do come with support and documentation to help you get going.

I hope this helps, have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.