WordPress Plugins once BuddyPress is installed

Once BuddyPress is activated will it only effect the blog it is on, or will i have to remove non buddypress compatible plugins and themes from the entire NetWork?

• aristath

Hello again @And.Hello, we haven't heard back from you in a while!
    And by the way I do miss these lions on your avatar. :wink:

If BuddyPress is activated on a single site in your network then it will only affect that 1 site.
    If however it is network-activated then all sites will be able to handle BuddyPress-compatible themes and plugins.
    So if you plan on having it activated on a single site, then I would advise you to remove plugins that require buddypress from the other sites.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Mark Wallace

Hiya aristath

I haven't been feeling to lion like for a few months now; :disappointed:

I did not know that buddypress could be on every site in the network. I thought it could only be on one site, and then everyone that was a member of that "buddypress" site could then have their own blog in the network.

I will reread the buddypress manual, but could you give a few examples:

1. Why a person would want only 1 buddypress site on the network.

2. Why a person would want to allow multiple buddypress sites on the network.

Would all buddypress site be connected?

Thanks Ari, good to see you again! :slight_smile:

• aristath

I haven't been feeling to lion like for a few months now; :disappointed:

I hope things get better soon...

I did not know that buddypress could be on every site in the network. I thought it could only be on one site, and then everyone that was a member of that "buddypress" site could then have their own blog in the network.

BuddyPress simply adds a social layer on WordPress. If it's enabled network-wide, it will behave as one large network.
    If it's enabled on a single site on a network, that 1 site will have a social layer, while the other ones will not be able to take advantage of anything BuddyPress. My personal advise would be to network-activate it... Makes things a lot simpler and the user experience is smoother is general.

1. Why a person would want only 1 buddypress site on the network.

In some use cases, you might not want to make it apparent that all sites are part of a network of sites. Consider this: If BP is network activated and I am a user on site G, if I click o the link to edit my profile, I will be redirected to the BuddyPress profile editing page of site A, which is the main site on the network.
    If on the other hand BuddyPress is only activated on site A, when I click on a link to edit my profile on site G, I will be redirected on the dashboard of site G to edit my profile details (since BP does not exist there, the dashboard is the default place for editing users).

2. Why a person would want to allow multiple buddypress sites on the network.

I've never tried that... I don't even know if it's possible. But I guess that by doing that (activating BuddyPress on a per-site basis) you'd be able to have multiple independent social sites.

I hope that helps...

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.