Wordpress Posts Disappeared

I have worked with bluehost.com, my hosting provider, but cannot figure out my big wordpress problem. This is not related to a WPMU plugin and I don't use any of them on this particular site.

Last week all of my wordpress sites stopped working. Only the home pages loaded. I contacted live support and they said to resave my permalink settings, which are custom (/%postname%/) I did to no avail. I created a support ticket and they said it was an issue with the .htaccess files. They fixed it and all pages loaded as normal.

Well a day or two later I noticed that on just one of my sites, the main domain of the hosting account, every single post from June 15 to December 14 had disappeared. They aren't in the wp-posts database, they aren't in my dashboard and you get a 404 error when typing in their permalink. They have completely disappeared. Bluehost is stumped. I didn't delete them and they said they didn't either.

I wonder if my previous problem with the .htaccess file had anything to do with it? I also had the QoolArchives plugin and was wondering if it could have created a problem like this. Either way, I'm losing about 2,000 visitors a month as some of my most popular posts were in that time. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened here? Site is http://www.collegefootballcafeteria.com if that is important.

THANKS!!

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Rankitecture,

That's definitely odd, I can't imagine a plugin or otherwise method simply deleting those posts. If the posts are missing from the database though, it sounds like there's not really a way to get them back other than to do a restore via a backup.

That might be a simple option though. Does your host have a backup?

You could try backing up the database as it currently is, then reverting to a previous version of the database if so. Or have you already tried that?

-David

• Rankitecture
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

My daily backup is from last night, weekly is from monday and monthly is sunday unfortunately. I backed up to the oldest restore I could, those posts are still gone from the database. Going to try and repair/optimize. Could it be connected to what bluehost did with the supposed .htaccess issue?

• Rankitecture
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Yeah everything else is there fine, posts from back in 2008 are fine. The only thing that got deleted were posts dated from 6/15/11 to 12/14/11. I can't for the life of me figure out why. Repaired and optimized DB and didn't fix anything. Looked in the wp-options table under cron and found something called wp-scheduled-delete but from what I've read that just deletes posts you put in to the trash, not all posts from arbitrary date ranges. Weird thing is all my other wordpress installations at same hosting account are all fine, no deleted posts, and they all have some from that date range. Totally bizarre.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.