WordPress, SELinux, and FTP question

So I've just discovered SELinux and then discovered my CentOS distro is running it. I like the hack-reduction properties of SELinux, but I've also noticed it's cramping my FTP uploading style. Specifically, I upload a lot through FTP into the plugins and themese directories. SELinux says I'd need to declare those directories public, but I don't really want to do that.

So, what's the best way to FTP stuff into WordPress (or a whole copy of WordPress for that matter), keep SELinux enabled, and make it all work?

Thanks!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi David!

Interesting... I'm not familiar with SELinux myself but it *sounds* good :wink:

Others may have suggestions but for now I'm wondering whether using SFTP or even SCP might help sort this issue out?

FTP isn't the most secure method of file transfer so using one of those two may mitigate the effects SELinux is having....

Cheers!
    Phil

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hey guys,

Hope you don't mind my closing this thread off as resolved. It's still open for discussion of course, just closed as a support thread! :slight_smile:

Oh, and thanks for the info on SFTP Phil. Funny enough, I've been using the insecure method all this time. Finally looked into SFTP upon reading this.

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.