Wordpress site backend - elements not working

Hi there, I've been speaking to a very helpful George to try and fix a problem but we were unsuccessful so he's advised me to come here!

I'm currently experiencing an issue with the 'Visual Composer' button and the 'Edit Permalink' buttons in the back end of my Wordpress. When I click them to edit, nothing happens, its like they are an empty click.
I have deactivated all the plugins I can apart from the WPMU Dev Dashboard one and my theme one to see if I can eliminate a conflict, however
a) I am unable to deactivate the LayerSlide plug in and the WPBakery Visual Composer plugin, they dont seem to let me
b) the problems with the links still exist

Is someone able to help me figure the problems out? Im currently unable to add new pages to my site as these buttons are pretty imperative to me! Thank you in advance (and I hope I can help someone else out there back!)

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Lindsay,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Since the support access was granted I took the liberty of accessing your site and checking this but I'm afraid that I'm not sure that I don't understand what the issue is.
    I tried creating new test page and in there I changed the slug first and after that activated visual composer, both back and front end and I had no issues with that.

Could you give me some additional steps that I could follow to replicate this, or tell me which browser and OS you use so I could try it out in same conditions to see if it's related to that?

What I could replicate is inability to disable the mentioned plugins and I suspect that this is caused by the theme that forces those two plugins to be active.
    Try deactivating those plugins while default WP theme is active.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Lindsay

Hi Predrag!

Well that's promising at least. Perhaps its my end which would make things easier (in a way).

I'm using Safari 10.0.1
    Also have tried on Chrome Version 57.0.2987.98 (64-bit)
    OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5 (14F2009)

I get the issue when I try and edit one of the existing pages e.g. Event / Pip Roberts (have tried quite a few of the other Event pages and the issue still exists).
    I just tried to create a new Event and still had the same issue...

Let me know if thats any more help in replicating.

Thanks

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for the additional info, I was looking at standard WP pages so I didn't see this issue but inside events it does indeed happen.

I've managed to grab a copy of EventBuilder theme that you're using and performed same tests on my installation.

I'm afraid that the issues are directly related to theme and its Event Builder Plugin.
    Theme forces activation of Visual Composer and Layer Slider and they can't be deactivated while the theme is active.

Slug and Visual composer not working is the issue with Event Builder Plugin, or to be more specific, datepicker and google map scripts loaded by that plugin are breaking in backend and cause these issues.

I'm afraid that we're unable to debug the code from other developers and you should get in touch with the theme developers to check these issues for you.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Lindsay

Hey Predrag - thank you for looking into this. It's been driving me round the bend! I have contacted the theme developer with this info so hopefully he can get back to me soon. I have a feeling he has a new version of the theme which has been updated and no longer has this / these issues. If he does, is the solution for me to install / update to the new version? Wanted to check with you first incase that would break the site etc... or if that is safe to do so.
    Thank you again

• Lindsay

Hi Predrag

Unfortunately I've had no luck getting in touch with the theme developer, it looks like a lot of other customers haven't either. Which means these bugs are still here. I'm not sure where this leaves me as I currently cant create a new page or basically use the theme at all, which is business critical for me. I've run out of ideas and wondered whether you know of any other options I have to get this fixed as I'm totally stuck?

• Dimitris

Hey there Lindsay,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

That's rather unfortunate news! If this kind of issue doesn't get resolved by theme author, it means that some custom development should be made to the actual Event Builder Plugin.

For that you can advise our Jobs & Pros section (no WPMUDEV staff members included).

Of course, all changes made in plugin's code will get overridden after a theme update.

And having a theme with no such care coming from its author, may end up with even worse malfunctions, so I'd rather advise to further search this up and maybe start migrating your content into another theme, more actively developed and maintained, like Upfront!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.