Wordpress site not working properly

Trying to edit products and product categories, for example, I come to this error,

"... page isn’t working
[site] is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500"

I am not able to make any edits to anything because of this. Not even a single menu name. Once I hit "Save" I'm returned the that error message. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm unable to run testing with Hummingbird. The error message received here is, "The performance test didn't return any results. This probably means you're on a local website (which we can't scan) or something went wrong trying to access WPMU DEV. Try again and if this error continues to appear please open a ticket with our support heroes"

Thank you kindly,
Tony

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Tony,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The error "500" also known as "Internal Server Error" isn't quite specific but in case of WordPress it's usually caused by insufficient amount of memory assigned.

Please add following line to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT','256M');

This line should be placed above the "/*That's all, stop editing!*/" line. Once it's there please clear site cache (if you are using any caching plugin on a server-side cache) and browser cache and give it another try.

Let me know if that worked for you please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Tony,

Can you enable debug log in your wp-config.php by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Try saving the changes that throw 500 error this should create debug.log file in your wp-content folder that could tell us what is going on.
    Can you please save it as .txt file and attach it here so we can check it out.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.