Wordpress user roles issue with manage_options

We are trying to set up the default Wordpress EDITOR user role to be able to edit/manage Coursepress Pro.

The problem is, we do not allow EDITORS to access the default Wordpress SETTINGS menu in the admin area - so we disable it by turning off the ability to 'manage_options' for this user role.

It seems that when we deny access to this for all EDITORS, it also denies them the ability to edit Courses in Coursepress Pro as well. They are now only limited to viewing the courses and not editing or managing them.

Could this be correct? Coursepress is using the default Wordpress manage_options for their plugin so we cannot ever hide/disable access to all of the Wordpress SETTINGS without denying access to an user managing Coursepress courses?

Seems a bit crazy, so think we may have something wrong?

At the end of the day, editors should NOT get access to Wordpress default settings, but SHOULD get access to editing courses, right?

Any help appreciated.

• Luís

Hi lowercase ,

Hope you're doing well today!

From what I tested, the "Editor" role can't edit courses created by other users, unless the user was added as a "Course Instructor" or a "Course Facilitator":

Unfortunately, at the moment, we don't have any other way to allow the an user to edit courses created by other users without the use of one of the above options.

However, I think this a capability or other way to handle with this would be a great feature for the CoursePress project, so, I've just moved this over to our Features and Feedback section, so it can be taken into consideration for the next plugin updates.

Hopefully some other members will show their support for the feature too, the more members that ask for it the sooner it will happen.

Cheers, Luís

• lowercase

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately this is very disappointing and may be a deal-breaker for us (and I assume many others).

The reality is, a developer will often create courses and hand them off to a client.
    We don't use the 'instructor' model at all as this doesn't apply in what we are doing with our courses. Wordpress default roles exist for a reason and it is crazy to think an EDITOR in Wordpress can't EDIT posts with your plugin! Crazy.

This should be standard practice for ANY plugin in Wordpress to offer simple and basic support for an EDITOR role. In fact it is quite amazing this has been completely overlooked at this point.

I would ask you to re-evaluate the status of this issue - its importance exists way beyond needing to wait for some other users to report the issue and should always have been a default. It is a an urgent error in the current way the plugin functions.

• Panos

Hi lowercase ,

As Luis already mentioned currently there is no option for this.

The only way is to make a small change to a file. Open file
    wp-content/plugins/coursepress/2.0/include/coursepress/data/class-capabilities.php
    and change line ~320 from:

$return = user_can( $user_id, 'manage_options' );

to

$return = user_can( $user_id, 'manage_options' ) || user_can( $user_id, 'editor' );

Hope this helps!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.