Wordpress Website Help

To Whom This May Concern,
Let me start with an apology as I'm a new blogger and created my blog following a tutorial online. I have been going for a little over 6 months now and I feel like there is always something wrong with my website. I signed up for the 30 day trial to see if this program could help me get my site on track and see if this is the right program for me. I have been told my pictures were too large so I started with WP Smush Pro. I thought I had the settings right and it seemed to help. Some of my pictures still seemed large so I went in and tried scaling them down and in the process I doubled my site's size. I contacted my webhost SiteGround and they said my site was unsually higher than it should be. They additionally told me there were a bunch of .core files that shouldn't be there. They helped me delete some but told me I should contact a web developer to see what the problem is. This kind of stuff is above me, I'm not sure how to start getting my site "healthy" and what to do. Is this something that you all can help me with? Thank you for your time.

• Ash

Hello Chas

I am afraid, we don't provide any custom solution, but we can help with suggestions :slight_smile:

When you say your site is healthy, do you mean file size or loading time is bigger?

When you used smush, there is an option to keep the original files, I think you had that enabled so the original files were there and then smush files came in. But that should not increase your loading time, rather it would reduce.

Secondly, when you say, lots of core files, this is confusing too. The core files from wordpress are always fixed, no way to have extra core files. If there is any unnecessary file, you can try our Defender plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-defender/ and using file scan you can find out unnecessary core files.

So, would you please let us know about the "healthy" thing?

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Chas

Hi Ash,

So when I say healthy I'm meaning do my file sizes look okay or do they still need to be reduced. I have also had trouble with sudden spikes of CPU usage (unrelated to images) and trying to figure out the causes of those as well.

The settings I ended up using with Smush were the smush on upload, super smush, smush my original. I thought about the resize my full size images but wasn't sure what the best size is to put in - as I use both horizontal and vertical pictures (any help there is welcome). Once I ran all of these I had 13 attachment coming up with errors which I'm not sure how to figure out what those are. When I look at the images some of them are at 1400 x 1050 while others are in the 3000-4000 range. When trying to adjust the large ones by scaling inside my media files in my dashboard it was creating new ".core" files - this is what SiteGround said... Konstantin Kaburov: if you go to the cPanel > disk space usage tool > then scroll to the bottom of the page and organize the info by "disk size" you will notice that the public_html/wp-admin has almost 5 gb of disk space. This usually should not be the case, which is hwy I immediately check it out.
    Konstantin Kaburov: Now there are files .core that are being generated by the application itself, since there is code - being from a plugin, theme or widget - that does not work properly.
    Konstantin Kaburov: In order to fix this issue it would be best for you to contact with a professional WordPress developer who can help you out and determine what exactly stand behind all of this, since this is a entirely related to the WordPress application.

They then deleted most of the .core files that had been generated while I was trying to scale down the photos but claimed they left a few for investigating... although I'm not sure how to do that.

I'll look into that plugin, thanks. Let me know anything I should try next or if you need more info please.

• Ash

Hello Chas

Thanks for explaining the issue. By reading that, I can confirm that smush or any of our plugin is not creating those files. As you said, wp-admin is 5GB, so it's clearly something happening on the server.

This is possible that it can happen with any other plugin but I really doubt. The .core file extension is completely new to me, so I did some googling and it seems it's some sort of dump-data file format and that is completely server related.

So:
    1. Would you please contact another support agent from the hosting company?
    2. Would you please send us one of those .core file, then we can check if we find something?

About the smush question, would you please create a new thread to keep things separate to avoid confusion? Let's keep this thread for the .core file issue.

You can also join our live chat support to get immediate support from here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/live-support/

Please let me know about the two points I asked. Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Chas

Here is what I heard back from SiteGround - none of this makes sense to me (the beginning blogger) I'm hoping it might make sense to you?

Hello Chas,

We do not see your account exceeding its disk space usage and the last core file that was generated from yesterday. I checked one of them and found that the excessive memory use was caused by wp-cron.php based from here:

Code:
    Core was generated by `/usr/local/php70/bin/php wp-cron.php'.
    Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.

If you've been running a lot of WP Cron jobs this is likely to happen. Here's the list of the scheduled tasks we found:

Code:
    goofychas@usm61 [~/public_html]# wp cron event list
    +-------------------+-------------------+----------------------+---------------+
    | hook | next_run_gmt | next_run_relative | recurrence |
    +-------------------+-------------------+----------------------+---------------+
    | swift_performance | 2018-02-21 20:04: | now | Non-repeating |
    | _prebuild_page_ca | 15 | | |
    | che | | | |
    | jp_purge_transien | 2018-04-25 00:50: | 5 minutes 58 seconds | 1 day |
    | ts_cron | 22 | | |
    | swift_performance | 2018-04-25 00:52: | 7 minutes 57 seconds | 30 minutes |
    | _clear_expired | 21 | | |
    | aicp_hourly_clean | 2018-04-25 00:56: | 11 minutes 43 second | 1 hour |
    | up | 07 | s | |
    | wordfence_hourly_ | 2018-04-25 01:08: | 24 minutes 25 second | 1 hour |
    | cron | 49 | s | |
    | mm_cron_hourly | 2018-04-25 01:17: | 32 minutes 57 second | 1 hour |
    | | 21 | s | |
    | wp_version_check | 2018-04-25 08:42: | 7 hours 57 minutes | 12 hours |
    | | 17 | | |
    | wp_update_plugins | 2018-04-25 08:42: | 7 hours 57 minutes | 12 hours |
    | | 17 | | |
    | wp_update_themes | 2018-04-25 08:42: | 7 hours 57 minutes | 12 hours |
    | | 17 | | |
    | publish_future_po | 2018-04-25 09:00: | 8 hours 16 minutes | Non-repeating |
    | st | 48 | | |
    | wpmudev_scheduled | 2018-04-25 09:45: | 9 hours 1 minute | 12 hours |
    | _jobs | 35 | | |
    | mm_cron_twicedail | 2018-04-25 10:13: | 9 hours 29 minutes | 12 hours |
    | y | 59 | | |
    | wp_maybe_auto_upd | 2018-04-25 11:45: | 11 hours 1 minute | 12 hours |
    | ate | 26 | | |
    | puc_cron_check_up | 2018-04-25 12:19: | 11 hours 35 minutes | 12 hours |
    | dates-swift-perfo | 34 | | |
    | rmance | | | |
    | delete_expired_tr | 2018-04-25 13:10: | 12 hours 25 minutes | 1 day |
    | ansients | 13 | | |
    | wp_scheduled_auto | 2018-04-25 15:40: | 14 hours 55 minutes | 1 day |
    | _draft_delete | 15 | | |
    | wordfence_daily_a | 2018-04-25 16:08: | 15 hours 24 minutes | 1 day |
    | utoUpdate | 39 | | |
    | wordfence_daily_c | 2018-04-25 16:08: | 15 hours 24 minutes | 1 day |
    | ron | 49 | | |
    | wpseo-reindex-lin | 2018-04-25 20:08: | 19 hours 24 minutes | 1 day |
    | ks | 28 | | |
    | wpseo_onpage_fetc | 2018-04-25 20:26: | 19 hours 42 minutes | 1 week |
    | h | 59 | | |
    | wp_scheduled_dele | 2018-04-25 20:42: | 19 hours 58 minutes | 1 day |
    | te | 46 | | |
    | mm_cron_daily | 2018-04-25 22:13: | 21 hours 29 minutes | 1 day |
    | | 59 | | |
    | akismet_scheduled | 2018-04-25 23:36: | 22 hours 51 minutes | 1 day |
    | _delete | 12 | | |
    | monsterinsights_d | 2018-04-26 00:01: | 23 hours 16 minutes | 1 day |
    | aily_cron | 00 | | |
    | publish_future_po | 2018-04-26 09:00: | 1 day 8 hours | Non-repeating |
    | st | 53 | | |
    | mm_cron_weekly | 2018-04-26 22:13: | 1 day 21 hours | 1 week |
    | | 59 | | |
    | publish_future_po | 2018-04-28 09:00: | 3 days 8 hours | Non-repeating |
    | st | 29 | | |
    | updraft_backup | 2018-04-28 15:54: | 3 days 15 hours | 1 week |
    | | 39 | | |
    | updraft_backup_da | 2018-04-28 15:54: | 3 days 15 hours | 1 week |
    | tabase | 39 | | |
    | publish_future_po | 2018-04-30 09:00: | 5 days 8 hours | Non-repeating |
    | st | 27 | | |
    | wordfence_email_a | 2018-04-30 22:00: | 5 days 21 hours | Non-repeating |
    | ctivity_report | 00 | | |
    | publish_future_po | 2018-05-01 09:00: | 6 days 8 hours | Non-repeating |
    | st | 46 | | |
    | publish_future_po | 2018-05-02 09:00: | 1 week | Non-repeating |
    | st | 51 | | |
    | publish_future_po | 2018-05-03 09:00: | 1 week 1 day | Non-repeating |
    | st | 13 | | |
    | publish_future_po | 2018-05-07 09:00: | 1 week 5 days | Non-repeating |
    | st | 53 | | |
    | publish_future_po | 2018-05-08 09:00: | 1 week 6 days | Non-repeating |
    | st | 59 | | |
    | publish_future_po | 2018-05-09 09:00: | 2 weeks | Non-repeating |
    | st | 17 | | |
    | publish_future_po | 2018-05-12 09:00: | 2 weeks 3 days | Non-repeating |
    | st | 47 | | |
    | publish_future_po | 2018-05-26 09:00: | 1 month | Non-repeating |
    | st | 53 | | |

Nonetheless, a professional developer can help you on managing these.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know.

Best regards,

Meg Dalagan
    Technical Support Team

• James Morris

Hello Chas

I'm actually a little bit surprised SiteGround didn't recommend their tutorial on replacing WP_CRON with System Cron. See: https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/real-cron-job/

This is actually the best way to reduce load caused by WP_CRON on your site. If you follow that tutorial closely, you should see a significant improvement in performance on your site because you will no longer be triggering WP_CRON on page loads, but will rather be handling it through a real scheduled server task.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Chas

I think the person I got looked at the last core file and didn't go back to the history when core files were being generated. They helped replace the cron job back in February when I had a major CPU usages spike and they thought that was the cause. So the new core file episode that created multiple core files in one day that doubled my disk space is still a mystery. I am almost certain it had to they had to be generating when I was scaling images down within the media library as that is when it took place. I have learned I must not be able to do this inside the media library unless I'm missing something terribly.

• Chas

That is helpful to know, thank you. I'm glad that SiteGround removed them for me and things are back to normal. I also found a ton of test images files that I have no idea where they came from. I deleted those and freed up almost 1 GB of space as well. Wondering how many other things are hiding in my website that need to be cleaned up/deleted. Any thoughts of how to check on that?

• James Morris

Hello Chas

Due to the open nature of WordPress and how unique each installation is, it's difficult to clean up an installation similar to what you would a Desktop OS like Windows. Unfortunately, there's no CCleaner for WordPress (though it would be cool if there was!). There's a few plugins for cleaning WordPress. Most have to do with the Database, though. Perhaps these three will help.

Defender Pro (finds unusual files using the File Scanning module)
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-defender/

Media Cleaner (finds unused media files)
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/media-cleaner/

Clean Up Booster – Database Optimizer & Login Security (database cleaner)
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/clean-up-booster/

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.