Workflow with localhost and hosted server

I am new to WP and have set up WPMU with 4 sites on my localhost with MAMP (free version) to start with. I really like this setup, it is responsive and if something goes wrong, it is not affecting the external world. Now as the sites are growing, the next step I need to think of is how to deploy my sites and afterwards download to and upload from the hosted server (with a provider) when I do further iterations of my site.

I understand that links and other references in general are causing problems when "moving" an installation between a local host and a server. Can I use cloner in my workflow later or do I need to choose another tool as Serverpress? What are my options? Which links and references are problematic and are there any tools to get links right after making the move?

Sorry for this very generic and specific question, but I think it is also interesting for other users that want to move beyond a basic Wordpress configuration.

• Ash

Hello @Michael

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

The only problematic part is the site URL. Did you setup 4 multisites or 4 single sites?

This is a tutorial from codex to move a wordpress site: http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

If you please let me know more details about your wordpress site, I can describe more.

Please let me know.

Cheers
    Ash

• Michael

Well, the websites will be about teaching and learning with a focus on ICT in primary. I will share articles, learning materials, product tests and other supportive material. The site will be divided into four parts, one under the domain name, and three with subdomains. It's a Multisite project.
    I am using the Divi Theme from ElegantThemes, the main website is work in progress and working fine so far, it is amazing with what little effort you can create a really nice website, and then gain more time for real engaging content.
    For one subdomain I will use CoursePress Pro, this will be a free learning environment for the time being. If possible I also want to use the Divi Theme. In various blogs I read that there have been difficulties in combining Divi with CoursePress, so I will tackle this marriage only once I have gained enough experience with Divi and CoursePress individually. So for the educational subdomain I have not activated the Divi theme yet, and will put together one or two basic courses, focusing on the content and the course management side.

That's the plan for the coming two weeks. It is a fresh website, so I can do many iterations and the content and the framework getting completed step by step. Any feedback on the workflow to create and publish content using a localhost is appreciated as I want to try a first deployment on the coming weekend.

Thank you!
    Michael

• Ash

Hello @Michael

As this is a multisite, so to move this website, you need to be little tricky.

First, zip the whole website in your local machine, upload the zip in the server and unzip there.

From your local phpmyadmin, export the full database and save as .sql extension. Open the sql file in an editor like notepad++ or sublime text or komodo edit. Then you need to run a search and replace operation.

Search: old-domain.com (this is your local site url)
    Replace with: new-domain.com (this is live site url)

Then import the database in your live server phpmyadmin.

One more important thing, you need to do here. After extracting the zip file in the live server, you need to open wp-config.php file, and edit the database name, username, password with the live server credentials.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.