Working with UpFront Page Templates

I have switched an existing site to UpFront builder, and it's turning out to be a bit of a pain to switch all of my pages and posts over to this theme. Can I edit the default template to include all of my global regions without having to change the template for each individual post or page?
Apologies if there is already an answer to this somewhere, I just couldn't find specific guidelines for creating new page templates or editing the default page template in the Upfront documentation.

• Sajid

Hello LeslieM,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Could you please tell me if you are using any existing Upfront Child theme from our collection or creating a new theme from scratch using the Upfront Builder ?

If its is a theme from scratch using the builder then you have to include global regions on each of your page template/layouts individually.

You can set some theme wide settings from Dashboard -> Upfront -> Builder -> Theme Settings -> Edit Grid and Global Theme BG though (that is still not what you are looking for but only theme wide settings to be mentioned).

However, what I suggest you here is that, instead of creating a theme from scratch, use a build in Upfront Child theme from our collection and build your theme on top of it by removing, editing and adding content modules. This will be easier and save you a lots of time tackling the default stuff.

Oh, yes, you can totally rename the existing theme to avoid any future conflicts. Just change the directory name of the theme, for example uf-spirit will become uf-custom-spirit (or any other name you want).

Please note that, even if you use the existing Upfront Child theme, it is still recommended to use the Upfront Builder to make changes from Dashboard -> Upfront -> Builder instead of Upfront Editor Appearance -> Customize. This way, you can easily export the theme and use it on any other WordPress site.

If you still have any question, then feel free to let us know and also check the documentation page here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

• LeslieM

I appreciate the suggestion of editing the child theme, but I'm preferring to build a theme from scratch using the builder. I was hoping there would be a way to create a new page template that applies to all existing posts of that type.
      For example, I can create a new Default Page template which would automatically apply to all existing pages unless I specifically change them, so that I don't need to manually create a layout for every page.
      (Similar to the way the Wordpress themes are usually set up, with default layouts that auto include elements like the header footer etc)

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.