Would it be possible to have the Affiliates system also record visitors through an invite code?

Affiliates, Membership, Multisite, ProSite...

We are going to be implementing a system where in order to join you will need an invite code.

Can signup be associated with the invite not just as a cookie.

Also... What if someone found your site from a general Google search but then later they click on an affiliates link or get an invite code. On some systems the affiliate link won't override the fact that they have already visited your site and so the affiliate referral is not seen as valid.

My big concern with just a cookie recording the visit is I often clear my cookies and then the referral would not be recognized...

• Vaughan

Hi @sdinvestor2k,

I'm not sure on adding this to invite code. Affiliates will track users from a referral domain (that your affiliate can register in their account) if they have come from there, regardless if they have visited your site before, Or if they visit a URL on your site with an affiliate id in the URL link such as ?ref=AFF_ID Then it would track them, but yes, if the cookie is cleared before they signed up, there'd be no referral.

I will need to ask the developer for more info on the rest of your query though.

Hope this helps

• Paul

@sdinvestor2k,

We are going to be implementing a system where in order to join you will need an invite code.

Can signup be associated with the invite not just as a cookie.

We as they say it depends. you mentioned the plugins you will be using and the invite code. But really have not provide any details in what the user it joining. I assume the the invite code will be used somewhere like on a user signup form. If this a WP register form like one would see on WordPress or our Membership plugin??

As for the cookie vs. invite code. As I answered on one of your other threads this afternoon the cookie is currently the only way to track an anonymous user who is not authenticated in the local system. Once the anonymous user becomes a real WP user we can then associate the user with the referring affiliate user ID. But until then we can't prevent the anonymous user from clearing browser cookies or even using a different browser. IP address tracking would not work.

What if someone found your site from a general Google search but then later they click on an affiliates link or get an invite code. On some systems the affiliate link won't override the fact that they have already visited your site and so the affiliate referral is not seen as valid.

Yeah, most affiliate system have what is called a false or 'no' cookie. Including our current version. This false cookie is used to indicate the user arrived at the site via some non-Affiliate link. But most affiliate systems do honor the transition to an affiliate reference if in the future the user somehow gets back to the site via a valid affiliate link.

Then you get into a whole other discussion on multiple affiliate links. Say a user followed an link from AffiliateA. Made a purchase. AffiliateA gets a commission. some time later the user is so pleased with the product they google for it and come to the site of AffiliateB. They follow the link to your site and make another purchase. This time for a larger quantity. But the user is already associated with AffiliateA. So the commission for the second order goes to them even though the user following the link from AffiliateB. Seems somehow wrong. I do have code in the new affiliate version to make the cookie lifetime only valid for the current visit. So the logic goes the first cookie will be set for the predefined number of days. But if the user follows a different and valid affiliate link the first cookie is replaced by the second. This way both are paid commission.

• SD2k

This is why I would like to have an invite code or another 'hard way' of tracking the new member and making the association. This would ensure clarity in the invite and who has earned the reward long-term and I would even be willing to incorporate a manual process at first.

From that point forward it wouldn't matter what they click on or how they arrive, it would always go to benefit the original referrer.

Can we explore this possibility? I know you would get a lot of traction if this was an option...

I'm currently running Membership as my primary access gateway on a multisite with Pro-Sites and WooCommerce with Courseware.

I'm considering moving over to Marketpress but I haven't learned a whole lot about it yet.

The main thing I'm looking for is a way to ensure ALL purchases made by a new member get rewarded to the affiliate who brought them onto our sites.

Is there any other tool that would consider the affiliate a 'salesperson' that gets a commission from all sales for as long as the members are active?

Thanks for your help and for your contributions to this project!

• SD2k

I was reading in another thread for this affiliate system. One I have been mainly targeting for purchase; http://www.itthinx.com/shop/affiliates-enterprise/
    They also track and log a new affiliate relationship using a coupon code.

As I read further, We could also set up a public affiliate page where an affiliate can direct their leads to visit their profile page and on their profile page they can have an affiliate link which would then log them in as a referral from the affiliate.

• Paul

@sdinvestor2k,

Can we explore this possibility?

Yes, already planned. We had another member doing some custom coding and he is planning to share his changes with me. Though I think we do need to distinguish the term 'invite code' used in Affiliate tracking with the invite code logic found in the Membership plugin. The purpose as I understand it is to let the public user enter a code which will associate them with the referring affiliate. So in effect the invite code would be the affiliate's reference. This is assumed the user arrived at the site not from a valid affiliate link. But also bring up the question if the user did arrive at the site via a valid affiliate referrer link should the invite code field be shown or pre-filled with the affiliate reference.

The main thing I'm looking for is a way to ensure ALL purchases made by a new member get rewarded to the affiliate who brought them onto our sites.

I've answered this in some of your other threads and I'll answer it again. Once the new user account is created there is a permanent relationship between that user user and the parent affiliate. This is stored into the WP usermeta table and not changed. The grey area is really before the time the anonymous user becomes a real WP user.

They also track and log a new affiliate relationship using a coupon code.

So how does that work? Is the coupon entered during the checkout process? Wouldn't that confuse the use of valid purchase coupons?

As I read further, We could also set up a public affiliate page where an affiliate can direct their leads to visit their profile page and on their profile page they can have an affiliate link which would then log them in as a referral from the affiliate.

How/Why is that even needed? If the affiliate has the ability to direct a lead to the site why not do it via a like with their affiliate code. Then the referral is recorded as soon as the user enters the site. No need to have a public page for the affiliate on your site. You could have many dozen or more affiliates active, dead or otherwise. Seems sort of chancy to refer the anonymous user to the site then hope they click the right link to finalize the referral. I must be missing something.

• SD2k

if the user did arrive at the site via a valid affiliate referrer link should the invite code field be shown or pre-filled with the affiliate reference.

I would say - The affiliate that gave the potential new member an invite code should be the benefactor regardless of any other referral link.

So how does that work? Is the coupon entered during the checkout process? Wouldn't that confuse the use of valid purchase coupons?

Before visitors can make a purchase on our site they must first become a member; even if it's a free account to post comments. The 'coupon code' (for membership) that the affiliate gives the potential member could both serve as the affiliate link and any discounts we may be currently offering. So... just thinking off of the top of my head here... you could have a coupon code that was #####-nova30 / where the first set of numbers was the affiliate code and the last set of numbers was the discount. If the visitor comes to the site without an invite or coupon code they would use the code referenced by the site admin on the membership options page. The site admin could choose to use a code that gave themselves (the site owners) first position over that new member or even (as in our case) showcase or highlight an existing member who has accomplished a certain challenge as the 'affiliate of the month' and we (the site admins) could make them first place affiliate for the week... So your coupon code field could be (form-field) dash (form-field) [if] the site admin selected this format in his or her options panel... Again, just exploring the possibilities... :slight_smile:

How/Why is that even needed? If the affiliate has the ability to direct a lead to the site why not do it via a like with the

Chock that up to midnight ramblings and a lack of sleep... :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.