Would it eventually be possible to add new payment gateways manually in the MarketPress settings?

So, I was browsing the forums earlier and found that new payment gateways could be added in the code by essentially copying an existing gateway and modifying it for the new one (API, settings, etc.).

However, I was thinking about this in regards to WePay and a few others, and I wanted to ask if it would eventually be possible to have a visual payment gateway adder.

For clarification, in the Payments tab of the Settings menu, there's obviously a good number of gateways to choose from and edit (including Stripe, very nice). Then, there's the Manual Payments button. It deals with physical cash and checks and whatnot, so it wasn't what I was looking for.

What I'm basically asking for is a "New Gateway" option, whereupon clicking it would open up a very general options menu when the page refreshes. The user could determine the name of the gateway (for example, WePay), and perhaps some basic API stuff. Then, there could be some kind of auto-add function or whatnot, or the user could simply continue to add more information manually.

In the end, the user could save the new gateway alongside the existing gateways, just like you can by diving into code, but visually instead. Understandably, this is just speculation on my part, but I'd be really excited if this functionality could somehow be considered!

• Alexander

Hi @TheGhostHybrid,

While it is true that new gateways can be added, and it's nice to be able to start by copying an existing file, it's not always simple as changing the API functions and some settings. In some cases you need to rewrite nearly every function from scratch. It all depends on the API of the gateway being worked with.

This might be possible if there was some kind of standard for payment gateways. But it truly is different with each and every one. There really wouldn't be any advantages to having a visual editor like this, because you would still need to modify the code to get it working with any gateway API.

If you'd like to have a feature like this, I'd suggest duplicating the manual payments gateway file. It's basically a shell for a gateway behind the scenes. So you could modify it as you go to suite your needs.

Thanks for being a WPMU DEV member. Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.
    Best regards,

• Alexander

Sounds good! I think this would be really nice if payment gateways across the board were more universal. But because they're so different and it's always a big coding job regardless, implementing the user interface side of it is the easy part - and it would still be completley different each time because you never know if the gateway settings need a URL, or just an API key, or also a username... Lots of possibilities.

Take care!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.