Would like some advice on plugins for free and paid membership, and pay per post plugins

I am new to WordPress Multi-site, so please forgive my newb question.

This is what I am looking for and would like some advice on plugins.

2 membership types:
1. Free Subscriber Account
2. Paid membership - annual basis - through PayPal

Free Subscriber Account
1. Can comment on articles/posts - per blog

Paid Membership
1. Allows commenting installation-wide (all blogs) - including main site
2. Gives multi-site subdomain blog
3. Allows unlimited free posting to their own blog, and pay per post to main blog (moderated). No access to other "sub" blogs
4. Can install own themes
5. Can activate/deactivate most plugins, but cannot install plugins. I would like them to not have access to deactivate certain plugins (like the Global Footer Content).

I would like PayPal integration. So, a user clicks on a "Buy Now" button, goes to paypal, pays, and when they return, they are presented with the automated blog creation wizard.

I can't think of anything else right now, but will post more later if I come up with anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I already installed the Global Footer Content plugin. How would I go about keeping it on all the sub blogs, but remove from the main blog?

• Barry

Hi, that's quite a complex set up you describe. When you say your new to multi-site, how are you with wp and/ or php as some of that will need custom coding I think.

Some of the requirements are part of our plugins already, some are restricted in wp multi-site for security reasons, I'll go through them quickly until I know your level of experience.

Membership types - no problem, part of the membership plugin

1. Can comment on articles/posts - per blog

Yep, you can restrict commenting with the membership plugin.

1. Allows commenting installation-wide (all blogs) - including main site

From this I assume that you are planning to implement the membership plugin site-wide, this will restrict some of the rules you can use and will mean you will have to more careful in the setup, but commenting is one of the rule that you can use for multi-site installs.

2. Gives multi-site subdomain blog

No problem there

3. Allows unlimited free posting to their own blog, and pay per post to main blog (moderated). No access to other "sub" blogs

First part is standard behavior, second part - pay per post, will. Need custom integration - third part, not sure what you mean by no access, read access included, or jut posting/ commenting?

Not possible with multi-site for security reasons.

5. Can activate/deactivate most plugins, but cannot install plugins. I would like them to not have access to deactivate certain plugins (like the Global Footer Content).

You can Activate some plugins network wide and the admin for a blog won't be able to deactivate them - they can't install plugins with multi-site due to security concerns.

• theprodigy

Thank you for your response.

When you say your new to multi-site, how are you with wp and/ or php as some of that will need custom coding I think.

I am new to multi-site, new to wp, but I do php development for a living, so hopefully I'm a little higher then "Total Newb", lol

About the commenting, I would like the Free Subscriber accounts to be restricted to the site (sub site) that they signed up on. If they want to post comments on another sub site, they need to register for it. It seems that default WP behavior is: When they subscribe to a sub site, they are automatically subscribed to main site as well, and they can post comments on any sub site in the network regardless of whether they were subscribed to that site or not. With the Paid Membership, I would like to override the previous rule and let them comment on any sub site that exists (or just automatically subscribe them to those sites, however the end result gets accomplished is fine with me).

First part is standard behavior, second part - pay per post, will. Need custom integration - third part, not sure what you mean by no access, read access included, or jut posting/ commenting?

Sorry for the confusion. The No access to other "sub" blogs, I meant, they can view and they can post comments, but no "admin" access to them. I realize this is default behavior, I was just specifying the layout I want.

Not possible with multi-site for security reasons.

Is it possible to restrict themes by user then? I don't mind installing the theme for them, I just don't want to run into the case where: if someone purchased a theme or had one custom built, I wouldn't want everyone on the network having access to it, just the one that paid for it and asked me to install it for them.

Once again, thank you for your response. I appreciate your help with this.

• wpcdn

Hi, that's quite a complex set up you describe.

Agreed. I'd suggest a very simple structure or you'll lose potential clients from the start.

Is it possible to restrict themes by user then?

Yes.

- Go into the Sites menu under Super Admin.
    - Choose Edit under the desired site.
    - A menu at the right will let you select a theme and activate it for that site.

I don't mind installing the theme for them

I'd suggest being careful though...what if User X obtains a "free" theme with viruses or other bad behavior, and asks you to install it...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.