wp 3.0 multi sites, allow users to choose (or select) primary site

wordpress 3.0 multisite enabled.

by default when a user registers they will get an active account on domain.com and a passive (hidden) account on sub1.domain.com

how can i allow users to either

choose their primary site

auto set primary site to the sub-domain that referred them (

option1 is better)

• Sue
    • Recruit

By default if they create a site their username is asigned to the site they create and they are not added as a user to the main site domain.com

However if they create only a username (and no site) they are automatically assigned as a subscriber to the main site (i,.e domain.com) unless you set up the Dashboard site inside System Admins > Options.

If that user than changes their mind and creates a site they will be added as a new user to their new site but their primary blog will be the main site domain.com (or the Dashboard site if you have set it up).

To change which site is their primary site they need to log into their account and go to Dashboard > My Sites select their preferred Primary site from the drop down menu and click Save Changes.

• itwasinthetubes
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

this is happening on my install too – when a user creates a new blog he/she gets the main site as primary and created site as secondary. How can you default it the other way round?

I don’t understand what to change in the super admin > options >Dashboard Settings

Dashboard Site

Site path (“dashboard”, “control”, “manager”, etc.) or Site ID.

New users are added to this site as the user role defined below if they don’t have a site. Leave blank for the main site. Users with the Subscriber role on the old site will be moved to the new site if changed. The new site will be created if it does not exist.

What should I put in there? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

• Sue
    • Recruit

@itwasinthetubes if they are signing up for a new site they should be attached to that new site only and I wouldn’t expect them to be added to the main site or dashboard site.

I would only expect them to be added to the main site or dashboard site if they first signed up for a username and then changed their mind and created a site after signing up for the username only, If this happens they can go to Dashboard > My sites in their account and change their Primary site.

• itwasinthetubes
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Sue,

I have not changed the default behaviour of multisite, but this is what I am getting initially which is causing confusion for users as they are getting redirected to the main site dashboard (with subscriber only privileges)

What could be causing the users to be registered with the main site first?

I have this option checked in the super admin > options:

>> Both sites and user accounts can be registered.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya.

Sue is right that the default behavior of WordPress multi-site is to only have a new user added to their new site – they should not be added to the main site unless something is telling this to happen.

If you haven’t changed any of the Network Options settings, it’s possible you have a plugin doing this? I’d try disabling all mu-plugins (you can just temporarily rename the folder) and seeing if the problem continues. If it does then we’ll have to look elsewhere, but if not – try adding the plugins back to this directory one at a time until you find the culprit.

Specifically, I’m thinking of a plugin that deals with site registration/signup. Also, are you using buddypress?

Thanks!

• AltisonaMedia
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I am sure that when I user signs up to a wordpress multisite they should be assigned a role on that site. They then get assigned an admin role for the new site they create.

There are plugins that let you control which blog (sites) a new user is automatically assigned to when they join and create their own. Not sure what it is of the top of my head.

• itwasinthetubes
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I’ve discovered the problem and it was quiet unrelated – I had a blog template which had users which were being copied over to each new blog. The admin user was being copied over specifically.

In case anyone else has this problem (highly unlikely!) Disable the “users” option when creating a blog template

• cfigallo
    • New Recruit

Aha. I did not know that WP multi-site had all those assumptions about where the user account originates. I’ve been thinking (in my application) that users would join on the “hub” site as a subscriber, then a site would be created for each of them, where they would have Editor privileges and one Super Admin would maintain all of the “satellite” sites.

I’ve got Easy Blogger enabled.

Following this idea, I’m finding that my test users log in but land on a strange “admin” page.

So if a user creates a new blog on the network, and they are the default admin, can other users still join that blog with privileges to post and edit articles?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya!

So if a user creates a new blog on the network, and they are the default admin, can other users still join that blog with privileges to post and edit articles?

Yes, though they may have to manually assign them (you can give admins the ability to do this) or check out a couple of these plugins to help:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/multisite-user-management/

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/add-users-sidebar-widget/

Hope this helps! Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.