WP 3.x Mult-Site Move Question

Hi -

We just did a site move from one host to another and have a couple of questions.

1) Anyone have any issues after a move with connecting to the database at the new host?

2) Are there any specific issues with plugins from WPMUdev.org associated with a site move?

3) We have been seeing an "important updates" message in admin. for WPMU plugins, but when we click on the link given we get a page not found error. What could be causing this?

Thanks all.

• dronix
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Anyone have any issues after a move with connecting to the database at the new host?

You shouldn't have any connection issues as long as you've made all the necessary changes in the wp-config.php file. If the domain is different, take note of the permalinks and make changes if needed.

Are there any specific issues with plugins from WPMUdev.org associated with a site move?

Nope. If you've exported your database from your old host into the new host, everything should be as you had it before.

We have been seeing an "important updates" message in admin. for WPMU plugins, but when we click on the link given we get a page not found error. What could be causing this?

Was your old site using older plugins? Would you mind outlining the steps you've taken to make the move?

• socialtract
    • New Recruit

Hi -

Thanks for your help.

We exported the database from the old host.
    Import the database at the new host, but give it a different name.
    FTP over all wp-content files
    Then.. at an independent registrar, repoint the NS from the old host to the DNS for the new host

I believe a couple of the plugins from WPMUdev may have been slightly outdated -- mo more than a month or two.

- Scott

• dronix

I believe a couple of the plugins from WPMUdev may have been slightly outdated -- mo more than a month or two.

I'm guessing the notification is coming for the Update Notifications plugin. Try deleting update-notfications.php from your mu-plugins folder and see if the message still shows up.

• dronix

One more question: Do you know if it is necessary to reset subdomains at the new location for all the multi-site blogs, outside of WordPress (say in the Control Panel itself)?

I'm not sure I understand. There should be no need to reset the subdomains. Once you've pointed your DNS to the new server the web host's DNS Server should take care of the rest.

• socialtract
    • New Recruit

Hi -

Thanks for all the answers and your time. What I meant was that on a normal site (not a MS site), you set up subdomains in your hosting control panel. But we have not done that with WP 3.x Multi-sites. Instead WP seems to create and operate the subdomains properly. But I wondered if after a move this would be true, or if we would need to do any subdomain management in the hosting controls?

Thanks -
    Scott

• dronix

But I wondered if after a move this would be true, or if we would need to do any subdomain management in the hosting controls?

No you don't need to do anything besides changing your dns servers as you've already done.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.