WP A-Z Indexing by Alphabetical Letter

Can any of the developers recommend either a plugin that has been updated that will provide an A-Z index (with an alphabetical) list of post names in each category for easier browsing of a large site? I know of A-Z index plugin but I don't think that is kept up to date anymore. If there is any other solution or paid add on that you know of that would work I'd really appreciate any ideas or guidance on this matter. Thanks!

• Dean Kaus

@sitesonline great question. I had forgotten about this as it was explained to me a long time ago (and it made sense at the time) that most blogs are sorted by date so that the latest more relevant information was kept on top. There reasoning was that you can have keywords, tags etc... and even search for content that should pull up all relevant posts.

Not so much an answer as a thought for you to consider. Hopefully @mtb1701 or @Mason may have a better solution for you.

• sitesonline

Hi Dean, thanks for your response and for sharing some ideas to consider. Although yes, date sorting makes sense for certain types of content, the material that I need to present is very "unbloglike" LOL. Probably not the best word, but it's late, and that's what comes up when I'm trying to explain it for now:slight_smile:

Anyway, I need to display content which is more along the lines of words and definitions--a bit more detailed than that, but in that case, using the traditional display that we normally think of is not going to be helpful.

But you actually got me thinking that in an ideal scenario, I could definitely use the A-Z index for a list of titles by alphabetical order sorting, and then possibly another index that is also searchable so that users can search by feature. So thanks for taking the time to write---more ideas are definitely going to help me in the planning stage for how to do this.
    For example if we were looking at things like Aspirin, then the post would describe aspirin and aspirin of course would be found under the letter A - with the name aspirin. But then also having an index or tags (not sure how this would work) but some cross reference so that users could also see an index lookup by condition like: Headache- and then a list of all medications that treat headaches comes up under that section.

I'm not working on a site that lists medications but it is perhaps the easiest way to illustrate what I'm trying to move towards with coming up with a better organization of the posts on a site I'm working on.

Any other ideas or feedback from anyone who has done this before or has suggestions, as always would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

• Dean Kaus

@sitesonline are these actually posts? or are they pages? Is this content that only you will add? Reason being is that I had a page that I actually listed a bunch of data. so what I did was actually enter all of the data into Excel. Then I could sort the data various ways for different pages so everything was organized that way. Then when I had to update I just exported the data (don't remember how I did that and I just uninstalled office 2010 as was having major issues so I can't go back and see) but i'm pretty sure that I had hyperlinks somehow that were copied over with the content so all of the name labels (first fields) were bold and linked to the full article.

If you can post a link to your site that may also give someone a better idea of how to accomplish this for you.

Did you try that plugin that hasn't been updated in a while? Sometimes things just don't need fixin?

• aecnu

Greetings sitesonline,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

Have you perhaps tried W4 post list plugin or is this indeed the plugin you were referring to?

Also I found WP Meta Sort Posts plugin that maybe meet your needs.

Dean Kaus is spot on too with his questions as well.

Let me know how it goes with the suggested plugins above if you choose to use one.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Mason

Hiya,

If one of those plugins doesn't work, you should be able to do this by adding the following to your theme's functions.php file or putting it in a separate plugin (so that it's not dependent on the theme):

add_filter('request', 'order_posts_by_title', 999 );
    function order_posts_by_title( $request ) {
        if ( ! isset($request['orderby'] && ! isset($request['order']) ) {
            $request['orderby'] = 'title';
            $request['order'] = 'ASC';
        }
        return $request;
    }

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything further!

• guido_graf

hi,

have a similar question: i'd like to have A-Z index in multiple columns (responsive) for categories and subcategories: site has a lot of audio files, i.e. recordings of poetry readings: each reading is assigned to one or several poets - each poet has his or her category.

now the index should show all readings alphabetically sorted by poet's names and above the index there should be an alphabetical navigation row. it could look like that: http://www.frontlineshop.com/marken-men/

any idea for a simple solution, a plugin which could solve that?

best,
    g

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for ya.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/qanda/

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.