wp-admin performance in multi-site

Hi fellow advanced multi-siters.

Any thoughts on where to investigate a slow wp-admin performance?

Front end rendering is fast, very fast, TTFB in less than 100ms. Bigish server (30gb memory, only 6GB used at any time, 8 CPUs load average at about 0.5 out of 8, SSD )

But in wp-admin, its all pretty slugish.

Places to look? (obvioulsy switching off plugins process of elimination etc, but of course that is tricky in a production environment )

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

No I haven’t tried plugin profiler, but I will.

I tried it as non super user and admin runs like a dream, so its either something to do with superuser account or the ‘root’ site.

It isn’t specific pages, its just slow. The root site does have a large number of pages, and whilst wordpress handles very big blogs with tons of post, I’m wondering if something (plugin or core) is causing admin to load up or scan pages all the time.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Locally

I hope you had a great weekend!

That may be related to multisite functions in the adminbar that are available to the super-admin, like the My Sites menu.

Have you tried disabling the adminbar in the admin, or removing the My Sites menu to see if there is any improvement in load-time?

• Fullworks
    • The Bug Hunter

I’m 99% certain it is down to the number of pages on the root site (3,000+) , researching elsewhere it seems whilst WordPress can cope with many thousand posts, there is some issue relating to pages (which are posts of course but the suspect area of performance relates to parent pages and I have 2,500 pages under one parent page)

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.