WP, BP, MS integration with each other on dedicated server

Hello,

Brand new here. I have been around WP for a while but main site is a vbulletin community. If Buddypress was to where it is now, I would have chosen this platform in heart beat back when my 1st community site was created. My interest is community memberships sites and some internet marketing for offline business. I definitely will will only be using WP and buddypress for my future web projects. My question is the best way organizing a variety of communities and local business website in to one or several network of multi sites. If have a variety of community website on one network then do I need to have a variety of instances of Buddypress with separate databases? Should I keep local business off the same network that my community site are on?

Thanks for helping me wrap my brain on how this will all work.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hello PCactive,

Welcome to the Forum!

I bet you started out a lot before BuddyPress came out. When I tried out BuddyPress about the time it came out, it was useless, but now things have changed. So is with Multisite.

BuddyPress on a Multisite by default have a limitation. There can be only one instance of BuddyPress on a network. But you can use this plugin to make it otherwise and have multiple instances: http://buddydev.com/plugins/buddypress-multi-network/

Having said that, I would still recommend you go for different Multisite installs for different communities, esp if you are thinking of each member having their own site in the network, which I think would be a great value add. Plus it gives an overall clarity to the project.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

• PCactive
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks for the reply arum.

Does that mean that if using multisite feature then you are only using one database?

should I keep sites off multisites network if I intend to sell or hand over certain sites?

How do people Handle Clients site? Do the not even bother putting them on a network?

Thanks

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey PCactive,

Let me try and answer them:

Does that mean that if using multisite feature then you are only using one database?

Yes, everything goes into one Database.

should I keep sites off multisites network if I intend to sell or hand over certain sites?

I would recommend you keep sites that you would want to sell separate. But not necessary always.

You can install a WordPress Single Install on the domain, export posts from the Multisite and import them (via Tools > Import / Export) and sell. But this is messed up stuff.

How do people Handle Clients site? Do the not even bother putting them on a network?

I would recommend not, unless you are offering something like a hosted network solution (like wordpress.com).

Clients would normally want their own custom plugins and themes, so its better to go for a single install. You cannot install themes on a Multisite from the site backend, only the themes the Super Admin installs will be accessible to everyone.

Hope these makes sense :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.