WP Checkup

I just joined and did a complete check-up. Not really happy with the results and would like help in resolving the issues. Starting from performance, seo to security. Thanks! Tom

• Nastia

Hello Tom

Welcome to WPMU DEV community!

Let's start with Performance improvements. To improve performance there are some images that need to be optimized. Looks like the WP Smush plugin is already installed on your site, please go to Media > WP Smush and enable following options to get better performance results:
    - Super-smush my images
    - Resize my full size images (make sure to add suggested dimensions)
    - Smush my original full-size images

Optionally you can enable "Make a copy of my full-size images", this way you can revert changes that were done by the WP Smush plugin.

Security scan didn't run I am afraid during the WP Checkup, would you please grant access to your site from WPMU DEV > Support so I could have a closer look at the security scan results?
    Please see the detailed instructions on the link below:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

As for SEO, most of the SEP suggestions are showing up in the WP CHeckup performance, these are:
    - Improving H1 headings
    These are blog titles, make sure the heading include main keyword inside

- In robot.txt, sitemap information is missing. Please locate robot.txt and edit it. On the last line add a direct link to sitemap of your site. Please see an example below:

# Rule 1
    User-agent: Googlebot
    Disallow: /nogooglebot/

# Rule 2
    User-agent: *
    Allow: /

Sitemap: http://www.example.com/sitemap.xml

- For empty anchors, to improve SEO score, edit the links in the list and add a visible linked text, for example:

<a href="http://www.facebook.com">Facebook</a>

Let us know when you will grant access to your site and if you have any further questions!

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Tom

Hello Nastia:

Thank you very much in getting back with me so quickly!

I have granted you access.

I have not done this yet:

As for SEO, most of the SEP suggestions are showing up in the WP CHeckup performance, these are:
    - Improving H1 headings
    These are blog titles, make sure the heading include main keyword inside
    - In robot.txt, sitemap information is missing. Please locate robot.txt and edit it. On the last line add a direct link to sitemap of your site. Please see an example below:
    # Rule 1
    User-agent: Googlebot
    Disallow: /nogooglebot/

# Rule 2
    User-agent: *
    Allow: /

Sitemap: http://www.example.com/sitemap.xml
    - For empty anchors, to improve SEO score, edit the links in the list and add a visible linked text, for example:
    Facebook

Thanks!

Tom

• Nastia

Hello Tom!

Hope all is well!

I've checked Hummingbird performance report and it is possible to improve it. Please go to Media > WP Smush and click on Bulk Smush button to start optimizing images. The plugin settings are set correctly.

To improve Remove render blocking resources score, CSS and JS files; CSS files need to be Inlined and JS filed moved into a footer and defer. This can be done from Hummingbird > Asset Optimization.

For CSS files, please select Inline option for as many many files as possible. Please see screenshot:

Same for JS files, please move these in to the Footer and select Defer option. Please do these changes for one file at the time, every time checking the front end appearance for any unwanted changes.

Please approach minification with caution. Some files can't be minified because of the way they were developed in the first place.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Nastia

Hello Tom

Hope all is well!

504 getaway timeout, is not related to WordPress installation. 504 is a server error and it means:

The 504 Gateway Timeout error is an HTTP status code that means that one server did not receive a timely response from another server that it was accessing while attempting to load the web page or fill another request by the browser.

Because it is a server related error please let us know is the site is shared host, or a self-managed VPS?

If you'are on a shared host, please contact your hosting provider and ask to increase the timeout for php-fpm to 120 sec.

If you're on self-managed VPS, please open the php-fpm config, usually inside /etc/apache2/conf.d/php5-fpm, find the line looks like this
    FastCgiExternalServer .... -pass-header Authorization ...

Then add this code to the end of the line
    -idle-timeout 250

Let us know how it went!

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Tom

Hi Nastia:

Sorry for the delay. It is a shared host and the timeout has been increased. I'm going to take a few days to review all your recommendations.

I'm concern that after doing all of your recommendations. My performance score is a dismal 67/100.

What am I missing?? Besides the Optimize images??? Which I have completed.

Gzip compression. How do I configure it? HTML says inactive.

Thanks.

Tom

• Nahid

Hey Tom !
    Hope you are having a great day!

Thank you for granting Support Access for us. I went into the site and enabled Gzip compression from your WordPress Dashboard->Hummingbird->Gzip Compression. I ran a new Performance Test and can see a score of 88 with an improvement of 21. Here's a screenshot for reference:

Render blocking resources seem to be the only drawback at the moment as showed in the Performance Test. Please follow along the recommendations of my colleague Nastia regarding removing render blocking resources using Hummingbird here.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need any further assistance regarding this. Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Nahid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.