WP Defender Recommended Fixes

Looking at the WP Defender/Hardening (Action Needed) it recommend I change my database prefix to something new. This seem it can be some gobbledy gook stuff. I assume any number of characters or any alpha or numeric I want to use?

I also know that this does not change the prefix of wp tables but I am not sure if defender also takes care of this or if I should maybe use another plugin like iThemes Security?

I have about 7 issues showing up in WP Defender of which 3 were automatically fixed and this is the first one that I have to manually fix.

I already backed up my database in phpMyAdmin

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dave,

I hope you're well and thank you for your question!

Defender should handle that for you - it should update database as necessary and change setting inside "wp-config.php file. If your site goes down after that operation it would mean that the "wp-config.php" file was protected from writing into it and the only thing you should need to do to fix it would be to edit the file manually and change the value of

$table_prefix

variable to reflect the prefix that you used in Defender.

Doesn't Defender let you make that change? If so, are you getting any additional messages from it?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dave

Doesn't Defender let you make that change? If so, are you getting any additional messages from it?

I did not make the change yet but just did. It went ok thanks.

Continuing down the line of fixes...

I still see Disbale Pingbacks as if did not click on that button

Prevent Information Disclosure I only get a busy mouse with a greyed out button. After checking back the busy mouse is now gone.

Prevent .php execution same thing busy mouse only with greyed out button. After checking back the busy mouse is now gone.

Clicking on Regenrate Security keys button only popped up a box that said "Action Required" then it disappeared.

Will let the website breathe a little before performing the last action to update Ninja Plugin

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dave!

I'm glad that I could help you with the "prefix" issue and that it worked fine, thanks for letting me know about it.

As for those other fixes that are not being applied. The "Prevent Information Disclosure" creates a ".htaccess" file with some rules in all the directories that should be protected. The "Prevent PHP execution" fix also works that way. If some of those directories are not writable it won't work so it would be good to check folder permission of your site.

However, I'm wondering about that error that you shown on a screenshot. It suggests exactly what it says and that would mean that the server couldn't handle everything either HTTP or DB calls well enough (it's not specified whether it's HTTP or DB error...). This would mean that the site hit server resource limit and it may be worth to get in touch with the host and ask them to check server logs in order to identify what caused it.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.