WP Defender replaced with another plugin after deactivation

I was going to convert my site into multisite, so I've deactivated all plugins via FTP by renaming plugins folder.
After this, I've tried to rename the plugins folder back and activate all plugins. But it appears that Defender plugin has been replaced with WP Defender:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-defender
But I never had this plugin installed before.

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there mirecart,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reporting this!

It's already escalated to our developers for further investigation. Me or another colleague of mine will keep you posted here about any development. Your patience on this is highly appreciated! :slight_smile:

Thank you,
    Dimitris

• Nahid
      • Tech Support

Hey there JazzyDan !
      Hope you are doing well today!

Thank you for your report and I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you encountered. Our developers are still looking into this issue and we will respond here when there is an update. We really appreciate your patience and consideration regarding this. Thanks!

Kind regards,
      Nahid

• mirecart
      • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I had the same issue, and was able to delete the offending plugin by going into the filde directory of cPanel. If you have access to cPanel, go into the public_html/wp-content/plugins folder and delete the plugin.

It seems to me that the check bastard who built that plugin was able to list it in the WP repository using the exact same name as the Defender plugin so when the site calls for an update, its getting that plugin not the real one.

I'd only install or update the defender from inside WPMU dashboard or by downloading it first then uploading to guarantee you have the right one.

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there zimrock,

hope you're doing well and I'm glad that you've managed to sort this out. :slight_smile:
    As mirecart mentioned (thanks for chiming in!) this is caused by the actual folder slug that two plugins are using. All plugins hosted in wp.org are using unique slugs and this one is the same as the premium version of Defender. Deactivating (or disconnecting) the WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin will result in losing the connection with WPMUDEV repositories, so WP will check for updates in the wp.org repository instead, as long as the plugin slug has a match in there.
    We'll keep you posted about any development on this.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there all,

hope you're doing well today!

I'd like to update you that the reported plugin has been removed from wp.org, so you shouldn't experience this problem again. I really appreciate the report and your patience on this! :slight_smile:

Take care,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.