WP Defender Uninstall still gives 403 Forbidden error for Wp-Admin

Hi,
WP Defender wasn't working great with this website. I uninstalled WP Defender, but now I cannot login through /wp-admin due to 403 forbidden error keeps appearing. I have to keep adjusting the .htaccess file to get in the backend of WordPress. Can anyone help with this? Thank you.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Firetoss

If you have uninstalled defender, then it can't write htaccess file. Furthermore, defender doesn't write into htaccess to protect your wp-admin, it usually locks IP to protect access. So, it might be another plugin which is blocking wp-admin.

I have to keep adjusting the .htaccess file to get in the backend of WordPress.

As you are saying you are adjusting htaccess file, would you please let us know which code you are editing there? Please let us know.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Firetoss
    • New Recruit

I don't think it would be another plugin blocking me. Because I could do /wp-admin just fine, but after I installed WP Defender masked the wp-admin and then Uninstalled the Plugin. I started to get 403 forbidden.

In order for me to get into the back end after that I have to add:
    <Files wp-login.php>
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from all
    </Files>

Then I quickly delete it so no one bad can get into the back end of WP.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

I have just talked to the developer and he confirmed that Defender doesn't set any 403. It just shows a message when you access wp-admin:

This feature is disabled

To protect wp-admin, defender handles from its code, not using htaccess.

Would you please send me your admin login and cPanel details so that I can check?

You can send me privately in the following format:
    1. Please go to https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question
    2. Select "I have a different question" if not selected
    3. In subject line put "Attn-Ash" (this will ensure that the email is assigned to me)
    4. Provide the wanted details.
    5. Add the thread link in the message so that I can track.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.